chapter six

ELLIE

There were boxes everywhere. Stacked on top of each other, taller than me. I sat on my bed, groaning. Tomorrow was my first doctors appointment. I was three months in, already getting a small baby bump.  

"JAZZZZ" I yelled when the front door slammed. She ran up the stairs and stopped in her tracks. 

"Holy shit." I nodded.  

"I know." She sighed and flopped down next to me.  

"You want me to go with you to the doctors tomorrow?" I silently shook my head, what I was going to do, I had to do alone. She gave me a questioning look. I shrugged it off and got up.  

"Will you help?" She nodded and cut open the first box that was surprise; more clothes. She turned to me.  

"Have you even unpacked the bag you brought to my house?" I laughed and shook my head. She groaned and started hanging up clothes while I unpacked the bag I brought myself.

JAKE

I heard someone knock at my door. I turned over and ignored it. It was probably just my mom, wondering about her "perfect" son.  

"Honey, can I come in?" I just grunted in response to the voice, and sure enough, my mom walked in.  

"Jacob, please tell me what's wrong. We can fix it together!" She said in her quiet, caring voice. 

"Mom, it's nothing I can fix." It was silent.  

"Mommy. I got a girl pregnant." She shifted in my bed, pulling me closer to her.  

"Where's this girl now?"  

"I don't know..I got scared and left."

My mom gave me a pep talk, telling me not to be a coward, and honestly, she handled the news she was going to be a grandmother a lot better then I thought she was going to. She asked questions about Ellie, and asked if I loved her.

I don't know why people keep asking me that. I don't know. I mean, through all my mom's questions, I was missing Ellie more and more.

"What do her eyes look like?" 

"A deep chocolate brown, but they still sparkle, even though you can't see her pupil."  

Tears filled my eyes as I thought about her, and how bad I hurt her.  

"Honey, why are you crying?" 

"I was such an asshole to her Mom. When I left I blamed everything on her. And now she hates me." 

"You don't know if she hates you, Jake."  

I just nodded and headed back to my room, turning off the lights and climbing back into my bed.

ELLIE

"Jaz?" 

"Yes Ellie?" 

"I'm getting an abortion tomorrow." She nodded quietly. 

"If that's what you want." I nodded too. It was awkward to tell your best friend, and I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was disappointed. And I hate disappointing people, but this was something that effected me more than anybody else.  

"You're angry." I stated simply. 

"El, it's your choice. I just don't want you to regret it."  

"I regret getting pregnant." I told her. She nodded again, opening another box. This time it was filled with books. We both drug it over to the bookshelf, shoving them in in no particular order. Tears started filling my eyes before I realized what was happening.