Chapter Fifteen

ELLIE

"That's the last box!" I shout, shoving it over to Jake as he takes it out to the car. I smile, gazing around the empty guest room. I hear quiet footsteps from behind me and quickly turn, looking. Cheryl stands behind me and I rest a hand on my heart, trying to slow the beating.  

"I didn't mean to scare you." She smiles sympathetically. I nod, and carefully sit down on the white mattress laying on the bed. She joins me moments later. We talk until Jake comes back in, telling me the moving van was now jammed full of stuff. I smile up at him and he offers a hand out to me. I grab onto it, yanking myself up. I turn to Cheryl. 

"Thanks so much, for letting me stay here." She smiles sincerely up at me.  

"You're so welcome Honey. Come back anytime, alright?" Tears gather in my eyes and I hastily wipe them away, trying not to blink. 

"You'll drown if you don't blink soon." Jake whispers quietly into my ear. I stare up at him and blink slowly, clearing my vision of the salty tears. Cheryl stands up to give us both a hug, although it's pretty hard with my growing baby bump.  

"Keep me updated!" She shouts as we walk out the door. We promise we will and Jake starts the car, driving us towards our new home.

JAKE

I stop at a traffic light, 10 minutes away from the apartment. I turned to Ellie to find her staring at me.  

"What?" I wiped at my face, suddenly self conscious, something I was never around her.  

"Nothing. I just hope Lili has your eyes." She smiles at me, and my heart melts. We both loved the baby that hadn't yet touched air. Four more months. 

"Jake." Ellie's voice pulled me out of my thoughts and she pointed towards the road. The light had turned green and people behind me were honking. I sped off towards the house and pulled into our designated parking spot. I turned the car off and turned to Ellie.  

"Are you ready?" I ask, a big smile making it's way to my face. In the back of my mind I wondered why my cheeks weren't hurting, what with all the smiling I had been doing. Ellie nods her head vigorously and I get out, going around to her side to open her door. She breaths a thanks, and I know she's nervous.

ELLIE

His eyes sweep up and down my large body. He stops when he gets to my eyes and studies them. He reaches out for my hand and slowly drags his thumb across my knuckles before taking me to the apartment.

We step through the threshold once I unlock the door, and both realise a sigh of relief.

This was our home now.