Chapter Nineteen

ELLIE

"Well shit." Cheryl mumbles. I let out a pain filled, humourless chuckle and Jaz sighs.  

"Do you want me to call him?" Jaz asks. I nod and she gets off the bed and goes out to the hallway.  

"It's his fault for missing it." I tell nobody in particular, but I hear Cheryl's sound of agreement from next to me and relax. The door opens again and Jaz comes back in.  

"He's on his way, and he's not to happy." I nod.  

"Well, that's his own problem." Jaz just nods and opens her arms. I cuddle into them, keeping a tight grip on the baby.  

"I've missed you." I whisper, only for her to hear. 

"You too." She tells me with a sad smile. We don't talk about what happened, or why it happened, between us, but I know things are okay and it doesn't matter anymore. We're friends again, and that's what counts.

A nurse comes back in and starts to explain what I'll do when I get home. She tells me I'll need to feed Lili every two hours and that'll her poop will be runny for a while, and not to be alarmed. She told me some really obvious stuff like; "the baby will wake up during the night." and "don't shake her." I can honestly say I was surprised she told me. Did some people not know that? That's scary.

Not soon after she left, Jake came rushing in.  

"Why the hell didn't you call me?" He shouted. The baby started to cry. Cheryl took her from my arms and started cooing, trying to calm her down.  

"You really want to know why?" I shout back. "You were with your new whore, you don't need me. And I don't want you in Lili's life."  

"I'm her father!" He cries.  

"Maybe by blood, but your name sure as hell won't be on the birth certificate." I shoot back.  

"What's gotten in to you? You used to be the girl of my dreams! The baby messed everything up." He mumbles the last part. My jaw makes a popping noise as it drops open.  

"You wouldn't have even talked to me if it weren't for the baby! She may have messed things up, but I love her already. I want you out of this room, now." I command. He stands there before looking at his mom, a betrayed look in his eyes. She sighs and hands Lili back to me before following him out, without looking back.  

"Do you want me to call your parents?" Jaz asks after many seconds of silence. I nod silently, carefully memorizing every part of Lili's face. Her eyes were a steel color now, but I wanted to know who she'd look like. I was being impatient, I know, but I couldn't wait.

"They're on their way." Jaz's voice breaks me out of my thoughts and I smile at her gratefully.  

"Jake is still demanding his name be on the birth certificate." Jaz tells me.  

"He's still out there?" I ask in shock. Jaz nods.  

"So is Cheryl." I sigh.  

"What should I do, Jaz?" She sits down next to me and I cuddle into her side. She lets out a long breath.  

"Well..I don't know. I've never exactly been in this situation." I choke out a laugh around the tears I didn't realize I was crying. Lili stirs in her sleep and I clutch her tighter to me. The tears come faster now, and my shoulders start shaking beyond my control. Jaz takes the baby from me and calls the nurse in. She comes bustling through my door and looks at us, waiting impatiently for one of us to say something. Jaz hands Lili to the nurse and says,

"can you put her down to sleep? Ms. Devlin would like some sleep. Also can you let in Mrs. And Mr. Devlin in when they come. And tell Jake to come in." The nurse takes this all in before nodding and leaves. I look to Jaz.  

"What'd you do that for?" I whimper. She stares at me for a long moment.  

"You need to forgive him. It's going to be hard, but you need to do it for Liliana. She needs her father." I nod and clutch her to my side.

Jake knocks before walking in.  

"What do you want?" He asks rudely. I turn to Jaz and she motions for me to take a deep breath and calm down. I do as I'm told before turning to look at Jake again.  

"You best be in her life if I put your name on this birth certificate. She needs her father. I can't say I love you, or trust you at the moment, that's for you to earn back. You hurt me. But I swear, if you hurt her, I will chop you into tiny pieces." I finish my short speech and finally look at Jake. He nods slowly.  

"Thank you." I nod and write down his name.  

"Does that mean she'll have my last name?" I sigh, and nod again.  

"So why don't you have my last name, too?" Time stands still as I process his words. 

"Excuse me?" 

"Marry me."