chapter nine

ELLIE

I sat up pulling away.  

"What'd you just call me?" His wide eyes matched the panic in my tone.  

"I'm so sorry Ellie." He reached out for me.  

"Don't touch me." I spat out between clinched teeth.  

I scooted out of his reach, hugging myself.  

"Who's Katherine?" I whispered. 

"An ex." He told me, voice cracking.  

"Why'd you guys break up?"  

"She died." He whispered. My heart dropped and tears filled my eyes.

I was no longer concerned that he had called me another name.

His eyes were red from crying and he was sobbing loudly. I crawled over to him, cradling his head to my chest. 

"Ssh." I whispered, quietly saying comforting nothings into his ear, rocking him back and forth.

JAKE

I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I missed Katherine so much. It was unreal to this day. 

"I'm so sorry." I told Ellie.  

"So so sorry." I repeated, over and over. She layed down my head slipping down to her stomach. She stroked my hair before I drifted to sleep, suddenly exsausted.

I was jolted awake to a soft kick to my face. Ellie smiled down at me.  

"Did you feel it?" She asked excitedly. I nodded up at her, showing the same excitment. 

"That was amazing." I kissed her. She didn't pull back, we weren't interrupted. It was our time. She smiled, pulling back.  

"We made that." I smiled, kissing her forehead. 

"It'll have your eyes." I told her. 

"It better not. Yours are amazing." She told me, firing back. I raised my eyebrow at her. 

"You have no idea how truly amazing you are, do you?" Her eyes widened.  

"Your eyes are amazing. Sparkling when your happy, darkning when your sad or angry. Your nose is perfect, and your lips are so pink and full I have to remind myself I can't kiss you every moment of the day." She smiled up at me, and I saw tears sparkle in her eyes. She wiped at them before they fell. 

"You're such an asshole." I laughed with her, wiping at a tear that had escaped her eye.  

"I know." I kissed her nose before snuggling back into her, one hand on her belly, waiting for the baby to kick again.

ELLIE

I relaxed as Jake's sobs became unknown, finally calming down. I had no idea. I guess there was a bunch we didn't know about each other. His snores met my ears, and I smiled and giggled lightly, getting out of bed and finding Jaz.

I knocked on her door, and it flung open, revealing a half naked Jaz.  

"Helloooo." I said. She motioned for me to sit down.  

"Isn't Jake here?"  

"Yeah." I smiled. "He's sleeping." I saw Jaz roll her eyes out of the corner of my eye and mouth 'whipped.' I laughed and playfully smacked her.  

"So, do you have a special man in your life?" 

"No." she said, but wasn't able to look me in my eyes.  

"You sure?" 

"Yes. Ellie, get out." She shoved me out, slamming the door in my face. I groaned. What had gotten into her?

I crawled back into bed, laying my head on Jake's chest and slowly drifting off, listening to the lullaby his heart created.

JAKE

I walked into the bathroom, and there she layed, cold and pale. Blood was crusted on to her clothing and in paths down her arms. I couldn't move to do anything, I just dropped to my knees.  

"Katherine." I whimpered over and over. Just wanting her to wake up and smile, her loving carefree smile and laughing, bringing me in for a hug.  

"Just kidding Jake. I love you!" She'd shout.

But that wouldn't happen and I woke up to that cold reality and I stared at her unmoving body, wondering if I had gotten here moments before would she still be alive.

"Jake..Jake..Honey, wake up." Ellie's sweet voice brought me out of the dream, that was actually a memory.

"Open those pretty eyes.." She told me. I blinked up at her and watched her dazzling smile spread across her face.  

"God, I love you." I told her, and her smile grew impossibly bigger.  

"I love you too."