chapter twelve

ELLIE

Jake starts pulling out of the driveway.  

"Jake. Stop." He immediately slams on the breaks, making me fly forward.

I get out and go around to the back door on his side, opening a box that was labeled "clothes."

I grabbed out a white v-neck, and some maternity skinny jeans. I put a pink scarf on over the shirt and grabbed out some flats the same shade as the scarf.

Jake's eyes popped out of his head when I started changing in the middle of the driveway, but I ignored him. I shoved my old clothes into the box and got back in.  

"I had to be presentable." I told him. He rolled his eyes and continued his trip to his house.

It was silent in the car, until I gasped, suddenly getting inspiration.  

"JAKE!" He slammed out his breaks.  

"ELLIE! WHAT?!" I looked down, embarrassed. He thought I was hurt and all I wanted to do was write a song.  

"Do you have a piece of paper and pen?" He groaned and started driving again. 

"Check the floorboard." I looked down and found a folder with lined paper and a pencil that was pretty sharp. I wrote down the part I had and hummed a tone, happy.  

'I don't have much money, but boy if I did, I'd buy a house, where, we both could live.' I smiled giddy at the thought of finally writing a song. 

"What are you smiling about?" Jake asked, bringing me out of my thoughts.  

"I'm going to write songs again." I grinned at him.  

"You write songs?" He kept his eyes on the road.  

"Yeah, I'm pretty musical..I can play the piano and guitar and kinda sing.." I trailed off at the look on his face. 

"Sing!" he shouted. I laughed.  

"What song?"  

"One you've wrote before?" I nodded.

"it's my last big breath what you want me to do? 

When you act all cool like you already knew.  

That I'll be stuck here cold just waiting it through.  

'Til your heart starts beating for that somebody new.  

You know that it's true

'cause it's beautiful people like you 

who get whatever they want 

and it's beautiful people like you 

who suck the life right outta my heart 

and it's beautiful people like you who make me cry  

'cause nobody else could be nearly as cruel as you

it's a wicked game that you're making me play.  

where I crawl back home as you're walking away.  

and it's all quite clear what you want me to say.  

But you'll be so long gone if I ask you to stay.  

you know that it's true.

'cause it's beautiful people like you