The Wish/Prologue

Prologue

2016

Another pitiful day of a pitiful year. That's the same mantra I've been saying to myself for probably the past two years. I tell myself every year, I'd be better and actually strive for something more worth my time than this. By 25, you'd think I'd be set on the path I intended for myself at 22.

A dead end job, a rather disgraceful apartment, shitty friends, and more importantly an unsupportive family (more specifically my mother). How did this all occur? One simple answer. Being abandoned by the one supporter of my dreams, my father.

At an early age, I always dreamed big. I always thought I'd have everything I'd wanted by the time I hit 20. But that plan was cut short, the moment when my father left us when I had just started college. Leaving us with a mother who turned to drinking to feel something, being the second oldest of my three siblings meant I had to put my dreams aside and start working to pay the bills.

College almost became a chore for me but I kept telling myself that many people have been through much worse of a situation. This, in turn, helped me make it through four years of working and studying nonstop. Many nights were spent staying up for hours just to cram after coming home from working.

It's only been one year since I graduated and my life has gone nowhere, it didn't help that the career I wanted wasn't in high demand around these parts.

This situation made me move out of my family home away from my mother (who had decided to try and go to rehab for her alcoholism) and my youngest sister. I felt bad for leaving Ava to suffer at the hands of my mother but I couldn't stand being around her anymore.

I had to pay bills somehow, so I applied for a waitress job and it is absolute hell. I can't even go one day without some perverted old geezer trying to take a peek up my uniform. Disgusting.

Plus, I come home smelling of cheap fries and dirty dish water (the smell isn't pleasant). This really puts a damper on my mood since it is my birthday today. I feel like I could collapse at any second from the exhaustion.

I slowly make my way up to my apartment and finds that it's dark and depressing, as per usual. I throw off my hat from work, walking straight to the kitchen to find candles from a cake lighting up the room.

A small note is next to it, I hold it to the candle light and read:

Happy birthday, sissy! Sorry I couldn't stay to see you blow out the candles but I do hope you make a nice wish and enjoy the cake!

-Gina

Typical Gina, she barely has time to do anything else but spend a tremendous amount of her time with her douchebag boyfriend. I hope to never date someone as self-absorbed as that man, how Gina doesn't see it is beyond me. She can't even bother to say happy birthday to me, face to face. I love the girl, I really do, but I feel like I haven't seen her since our father left. It's obvious his absence has hit her as hard as it did me.

I don't go against her request and decide to blow out the candles, thinking up the best wish that comes to mind. Taking a swift shot of the cake with my phone and sending it to her with a thank you before continuing.

"This will be a bit of a loaded wish but here goes nothing, I wish.... I wish I could be in easier times and have something or someone worth living for because right now, things aren't looking so bright for me. I hope my 25th year of life brings me happiness and not disappointment. Not only for myself but for my family and anyone else who may be in as bad a situation as me."

After I've said this, I quickly blow out all the candles, pulling them out of the cake and taking a small slice of it. I barely even looked at the design of the cake before digging in. Cake is cake.

I lay across my shabby couch and switch on the TV, finding some cartoons to watch. I find decent entertainment in Tom and Jerry cartoons from the 1960s. They keep my attention for an hour or so. Not long after, I drift to sleep with dreams of glamour and luxury with the sounds of cartoons in the background, thinking about my wish and hoping-praying-for a new start.

(A/N: I hope you enjoyed this small prologue/ chapter! Also, I finally made up my mind, I've decided to focus my attention on just this one story for the time being since I've making myself unnecessarily stressed out with writing a bunch of others. So, for now, you'll see that I'm going to make Shadows Fall Behind You and The Wrong Number unpublished for the time being.

I hope you guys can forgive me for this and enjoy this story! Please leave your comments and votes on this because I'd really appreciate it!

Love, michaelscrown <3)