Got To Be There/Epilogue

1994– Jackson Family Honors

"You know, Kendra, I'm so proud of you," Colette spoke, holding onto my shoulders as we stood backstage. The little one, Destinee, was clinging to my leg for dear life, hiding behind me with a clear pout on her face.

"Thank you again, Colette. You've been such a friend despite all the magic stuff and please don't ever teach her any magic spells."

"I wouldn't be her auntie if I didn't!" She bends down to her height. "Right?"

"Wight," she feebly agrees. I can't help but to chuckle at her pronunciation, she was still learning. We all turn our attention to the stage, where Michael is greeted with deafening applause and chanting of his name.

His career is still going strong. No allegations, due in part to me cutting all contact with the family early on. I never told Michael exactly why and he questioned me a lot but I convinced him that he couldn't let these people take advantage of him so much, he had to learn to put his foot down because he's the boss, he pays them, not the other way around.

Being the caring voice he needs is paying off. Four years went by so quickly. I can't believe it.

You know this is all a load of baloney, right?" Colette whispers, censoring her words considering the toddler with us. "We all know Michael is still the only real star in this family."

"Don't forget Janet like that! Besides, they're family now, I can't go around talking mess...right now at least." We laugh quietly at that.

It's over the crowd cheering that I hear a voice right next to me, it's Jackie. We hadn't spoken for quite a while. I barely saw him at our wedding either, I was kind of hoping he'd get over his grudge against me or whatever problem he had with me. I mean, it's been six years.

"Hey, Kendra, can we talk in private a second?"

"Sure, Colette?" I call to her, pushing Destinee towards her and reassure her that Mommy will be back in just a second.

Jackie is dressed for what I assume is the final number soon. If memory serves me right, this is the only number Michael sings in.

"I know we haven't always seen eye to eye-"

"You hated me for leaving you for Michael, you mean?" I point out, unintentionally cutting him off.

"For a while, yeah. Then there's the wife thing."

"Yeah, that too. A cluster fuck, really."

"Well, this isn't about naming off all our problems. I'll make it easy. I've been distant, I was jealous but considering we're family now...I want to put that behind us." Jackie extending an olive branch? That's...interesting.

"I would've thought that you'd say this on the day I married Michael. But, maybe I should've made more of an effort myself," I explain. "I don't think we ever really sat and talked, did we?"

"The last time we tried that, I got a bottle to the head, remember?"

"Yeah, sorry. You really brought out the untapped rage from me." I tell him honestly. I really put those types of fits of rage behind me, I hated that I even did that afterwards.

"I can only hope you don't do that to Michael."

"No, goodness, no. I think we level each other out so no bottles get involved." I joke. At least we both can look back at that and mostly laugh at it.

"I would've hated to admit this but now? I think you two really work together, I'm happy for you." He chuckles, motioning towards Michael on stage.