Don't Dream It's Over, Part 1

Kendra

The same night

Los Angeles, CA

I was enraged, I couldn't even think straight as I sped through the streets. I never knew he'd stoop so low. After Ava hung up the phone, I immediately barged in the living room which made her jolt up in surprise. She acted as if she was completely innocent in all of this and I interrogated her intensely for some information on how this had occurred. The memory replays in my mind as if on a loop.

"Jackie just randomly showed up at my school and he said he would give me whatever I wanted and everything. I felt so bad because I knew you went through a breakup but he told me you weren't an issue much longer."

"Ava, break up with him. He has bad news written all over him."

"Bu-"

"Don't try to make excuses for that man, just do it, please. I know what I'm talking about."

Pulling up to the building where Jackie is staying gives me a queasy feeling in my stomach, not only because of my disgust but something underlying that I can't place. I park not too far from the entrance and quicken my pace to get there. The lobby is filled with the rich and famous, this is Los Angeles, after all. Most of them lounge around in the plush couches or stand with a wine glass in hand as they converse with others. I try my best to slide by them to get to the elevators. The ride in the elevator is quiet, my thoughts going to how many forms of bodily harm I can inflict on Jackie before I leave this place. The doors slide open to a hallway and I hastily walk out and begin looking for the number to Jackie's room.

Only a few doors down do I find the number I need. I respectfully knock on the door, trying not to make my knocks sound harsh as my fist makes contact. A few moments later I'm faced with the man himself, he smiles at me and I don't return any sort of expression back. He welcomes me in and I cautiously step inside as Jackie makes his way to the living room of the suite.

Pouring himself a drink as I continue to stand there with questioning eyes.

"What the hell's wrong with you?"

"What are you talking about, baby?" I scoff at his use of nicknames with me, like as if he's not messing with my sister. I need to be civilized with him right now, even though he irritates me to no end.

"Don't call me baby, what are you doing with my sister?"

"Back off, this is something between me and Ava, not you. You're just jealous, admit it. You wish I was still going after you, am I right, Kendra?" I nod my head incredulously to his statement, my expression clear to him as day, he was honestly something. And I don't mean that in a good way. Jackie offers me a glass of whatever he's drinking, holding it out to me politely and I decline.

"Oh, negro, please. You really think I'm going to let you sit here and turn my motherfucking sister out? Nah, I don't play that shit, Jackie. You're telling me to back off? That's my family, not some random little girl off the street."

"Seems to me like this is just your opinion, which is clouded by your feelings," Jackie leans back nonchalantly into the couch as he looks up at me.

"Oh? What feelings exactly?"

"You tell me, you're the one taking this personally."

"Well, you're damn right I am...you're messing around with my SIXTEEN-year-old sister. My ex-boyfriend messing around with my youngest sister," I point out the obvious since he seems to be forgetting that he's in the wrong. He could get back at me any way he wanted, but he had no right whatsoever to use my family for that purpose. This didn't involve them.