Through The Wire

Kendra

July 23rd, 1988

"So what is this woman's name exactly?" The scenery flies by as I sit in the passenger seat of Sean's blacked out car. I agreed to tag along with him since he offered and I don't regret it. This could help me in so many ways. I look out the window of the car, the sun warming my face and almost blinding me as I do so.

"Melissa Harding, she and Michael apparently had a secret relationship until '86. She came into the station with the same claims that Joseph had tried to blackmail her."

"Tried?"

"Scratch that, not tried. He successfully blackmailed her and that's why we're driving so far because she booked it out of town without a word to anyone except the detective on the case and Michael, I assume."

"You guys didn't find any evidence before she skipped town?"

"The detective on the case tried his damn near best to get something to stick, even got a quiet warrant to search Hayvenhurst for files but that place was cleaner than clean."

"God, that's awful."

"Yeah, feel sorry for her honestly. If one of the family members searched that place, they might have gotten lucky and found the files when Joseph wasn't there. It was obvious he hid them where the officers couldn't find it."

The drive continues just a bit longer before we've gotten off the highway into a small but very picturesque city. Small shops line the streets and the residents all seem happy as we slowly pass them, the suburbs begin to take over the roads and they become more obvious to us both. Had I known any better, I would think we're not even in the state anymore. This place seemed so different from the fast pace of Los Angeles and even Los Olivos and the seclusion there.

"Are we even still in California?"

"Yeah, this is St. Helena. It's part of Napa County. A part of the North Bay region of the San Francisco Bay area, if I'm not mistaken this is pretty much vineyards and mountain here."

"Well, Mr. Geographer, tell me more," A look of feigned fascination is plastered on my face as I glance towards Sean and in response he rolls his eyes.

"It's kind of required to know the districts around the state and I happen to have a photographic memory."

"I'm sure that comes in handy," I respond, not really expecting him to say anything more on the topic. The drive is silent as we pull into what seems to be an affluent development. Not one single lawn is unkempt, the grass greener than green. All the homes are all tastefully designed for one floor homes, reminding me of 1950s and 60s propaganda about the homes of the future or some bullshit like that.

"I feel like I'm in the Stepford Wives or something," Sean remarks, his eyes looking anywhere but on the road as we crawl down the street. I don't hesitate to agree with him.

"What's her address?"

"Just look for the number 5873, it's down this street." I keep my eyes open for the address as the numbers on the mailboxes get higher and higher, we've hit the end of the road and come up successful. The house sits in the middle of a cul-de-sac, resembling the other houses on the street except a major difference in layout of bricks on the front wall. One lone car sits in the driveway, a very expensive one at that. The house seems to be the only one in the cul-de-sac which is strange but I try not to think much on the architectural design of the neighborhood.

"When you found out about her, what exactly did her file say?" I ask, hoping he can explain why she's living in such a nice home. Not that I assumed she was dirt poor but for someone who skipped town, she sure is living pretty.