Blood is Thicker

Kendra

During the next morning, I woke up bright and early before Ava, doing my sisterly duties of cooking her a nutritious breakfast. I used to do that for her when she was much younger, still running around the house wearing a tutu and fairy wings, except the food wasn't as edible as it is now. Michael's personal chef was here before me and offered her services but I was adamant on doing this myself, it was a very good habit to have in my honest opinion.

I slaved over the stove while the personal chef, whose name I've learned is Vivian, leaves me be to tend to other matters. When I've almost finished making just about everything, Ava saunters in and stretches her arms to the heavens. I hear the popping of her joints and feel myself get fairly creeped out by the sounds.

"Good morning," she greets, a lazy and small smile on her lips. She pulls out a chair to sit down and waits for her plate of food. I don't hesitate to place it in front of her.

"Morning, pip squeak, sleep well?"

"Sure did, am I ever going to see Michael during this trip?" Her question literally comes out of the blue, but I feel as if we've spoken about this before. I plop myself down in the seat next to Ava at the table, a warm enveloping cup of coffee in my hands. The sweet yet bitter taste of it goes smoothly down my throat, giving me energy with each little sip.

"Afraid not, he's on a whole other continent."

"What's the point of buying a house if you're not going to be here to live in it anyways?"

"Ava, we all need something to come back to, no matter if it's a person, object, or place."

"Michael has two of those things marked off a list, I'm sure," She smirks to herself as I roll my eyes.

"Where's Bubbles?"

"What is this? Twenty stupid questions?"

"No, I seriously want to know, the news said Michael had all types of animals around but I've yet to see one."

"Bubbles is with Michael; besides I don't know the first thing about taking care of chimps." Plus, I was a bit scared of him. He may look cute but he has the fists of a human being, so he could knock someone out in a second and I don't want to be on the receiving end.

"So, how was the school year? You've been so caught up in my life that I haven't had the chance to talk about yours."

"It was good, I met someone my age this time." I breathed an inner sigh of relief at that one, I had only learned more about the situation with him recently. He was known to the police already, in 1986, he was still married and very abusive to his wife while seeing other women. I'm almost sure I was one of those women on the list. I also learned about Randy, who isn't as innocent as I once believed. (Tina Turner shot at him with a shotgun!)

All the men in the family seemed to inherit traits of possessiveness and control from their father, except Michael, of course. He's probably the only decent man in this entire family, which is kind of ironic, considering his childhood. Abuse had long term effects, much like a soldier in combat, his siblings and himself always anticipated pain and perceived threats. I had no doubts Joseph was as bad as Michael says, hell, he even said he'd drag Michael out from hiding (even if he was a 29-year-old man.)

"Is he nice?"

"Well, he's no Michael but he'll do."

"Do you want to switch places? You seem to want Michael more than anybody."

"No, but I want a man as good as Michael. Seems like the boys I talk to at school all see one thing and want one thing."

"Ava, those boys are idiots. They don't see quality in a woman until they're a bit older, maybe college age, to be truthful." I didn't date anyone in high school so I did speak from experience, most boys in high school didn't think past having sex, drinking, and being popular. I'm almost sure half those guys are middle-aged men now who probably have a beer gut, no hair, and a crappy job. (Although, to be fair, I was thinking mostly the same thing minus the 'sex' part.)