If Only

Kendra

A month had come and gone, soon it was April. And I was finally becoming comfortable with living in the past. That is, until I found my iPhone.

It was during a photoshoot that I found it in the deep crevices of my purse, I was freaking out just seeing the messages and calls I had missed. Apparently, I had missed 20 calls from every single one of my family members that mattered in the future. How that was possible? I don't know. But, I couldn't do anything now with it so I hide it back in my purse.

----

Michael

Century City

Of all the women in California, I just had to fall for the one who is dating someone else. That someone being my brother. It took one month, one month of being around her and I was taken. It was such a rarity to find a woman with my particular interests, and it didn't hurt that she was painstakingly beautiful inside and out. 

It's always hard in my position to find a woman who isn't in a relationship with me simply for the monetary gain, but I knew that Kendra could support herself so I quickly ruled that out. Finding that she, genuinely, enjoyed being around me. Sometimes, after she would visit me on tour, I would think to myself that there was no way such an amazing being as herself would spend time with someone like silly ol' me. But she did so happily.

Kendra didn't find all her happiness in material items, even with the profession she pursued. In a way, I thought that made her very honest and found myself trusting her upon our first meeting. I cursed myself for not meeting her before Jackie swooped in on her, the last couple years had been so busy that I barely had the time to do much for myself. If only I had met her first, if only.

Hence, my predicament now. I laid across the couch in my condo, looking out towards the sunny California landscape through my window. I let the thoughts of this situation take over my mind, almost so much that I didn't hear the phone ring till the last second before it stopped.  Rising up from the couch, I wait to see if the phone will ring once more. It does.

I pull the receiver off the stand and pick up.

"Look, I thought I told you I'm not coming in today."

"Whoa, relax, Michael. It's me, your favorite older brother." Speak of the devil.

"What do you want?"

"I was wondering if you.... could...keep an eye on Kendra for me?" Jackie's request seems to be a bit vague, I mean it's not like I can go stalk someone without being recognized.

"Keeping an eye...meaning?"

"Go visit her or something, I need to know she's home."

"And you can't do this yourself, because?" I hear some sort of shuffling on his side but I don't think much on it as I wait for his response to my question.

"Look, Mike, I'm out of town right now and I just want to know if she's okay." I feel my annoyance rising but then I remember I'm going to be seeing Kendra so why should I be annoyed? I wouldn't mind seeing her or spending time with her. My tune quickly changes and I don't think twice about agreeing.

"You know what? I'll go see her for you but please don't call me from here again," I hang up before he can thank me and run straight for my closet. I have to look my best if I'm going to be seeing Kendra.

-----

Kendra

Walking into my apartment after that shoot today, it made me feel relieved. So relieved that I forgot about my phone situation for the time being. First things first, I pull on a comfy pair of sweatpants. Then, I proceed to the kitchen to find something to satisfy my never-ending hunger. I spread myself out onto the couch after having found a nice bowl of ice cream, switching on the TV to watch it.