Step Up to The Plate

Kendra

June 19th, 1989.

Two days pass, the same report kept playing over and over in my head.

Three Strikes Out.

"Good evening, everyone, I'm Mary Hart."

"And I'm John Tesh. It seems that Kendra Atkins is making headlines again, but not for the reasons you think," He turns towards another camera, the angle changing. A juxtaposed picture of me, Jackie, Tatiana, and...Diana Ross?

"Reports are coming out of the scandalous relationship that Jackie Jackson was having with her, along with rumors from Tatiana Thumbtzen, a model who once worked with Kendra's current beau. There also seems to be some words shared with the media from Diana Ross, a longtime friend of Michael Jackson."

"Through previous reports, it was already known that Jackie was seeing Miss Atkins while still married to Enid Spann. But it was also revealed through recently uncovered court documents that Jackie continued to see Atkins while going through divorce proceedings! If that wasn't surprising enough, it was rumored last night that the both were seen out together and were rather close to one another." A picture of the both of us appears onscreen, but I don't ever recall going anywhere with Jackie recently. It looked highly edited to me.

"Meanwhile, model Tatiana Thumbtzen claims that she had priceless items stolen from her possession, and names Atkins as one of the main suspects. 'I think she's just trying to rob me of the special moment I shared with Michael,' is what she told reporters when asked about the theft. She has not named what the items were since police are investigating the matter." Great, called a homewrecker and thief in one report, what else could be said?

"Diana Ross, one of Michael's high-profile friends also seemed to share words on the model. 'I think it's such a shame...she seems like a sweet girl but she sets a bad example for young girls. We are role models to young girls on how things should be, the way she leads her life is not one to follow.'"

And a bad role model too. Fantastic.

Hopefully Sean could consider investigating this robbery for me as well.

I didn't quite know how to react. What did I ever do to Diana Ross? When did I spend time with Jackie? When did I steal anything from Tatiana? One answer...I didn't. Speaking with my publicist and manager about this proved my best option, there was a double-standard in terms of media response.

For a male celebrity, they could ignore scandals if they wanted until a new project came about. But for female celebrities, you had to respond as quick as possible or they'd immediately put you down as guilty or worse. So, basically, career suicide.

Luckily, I paid my publicist Jennifer to get mad at things like this. Jennifer's office was smack dab in the hub of the city so as anyone could imagine, paparazzi hang around like vultures just waiting for fresh meat. I was the fresh meat, unfortunately.

As soon as I stepped out the car, flashes were going off a mile a minute. Along with the questions about Michael and I's relationship, among other things. Like any logical person, I ignored them and shielded my eyes from the blinding flashes. I look up for one moment, glancing at the tall, foreboding skyscraper. It was one of the many that lined the street but this one looked more gut-wrenching than all the others.

I let out a sigh of relief as I head through the revolving doors, into the beautiful atrium-style lobby. This was the one place they can't follow me, thankfully. For a moment, I looked on with envy at the people who zoomed past me, their faces free of care or worry. Chances are they aren't being slandered in the tabloids right now.