The Showcase Ensues

Kendra

October 6th. 1988.

Rutherford, New Jersey.

I think one of the perks of being so private with our relationship was that no one even knew we had broken up. Even though, the media were stirring the rumors of Michael and Whitney (unbeknownst to them, they were confirmed true for a short time). Now, imagine both Michael and I's surprise that Daryl Dennard, one of the hosts of the Ebony/JET showcase, had called and asked us both for an interview.

At first, Michael wasn't sure if we should talk openly about our relationship or anything else for that matter. Since he was afraid of even more scrutiny in the media being put on me. It took some time, but I managed to convince him. It was best that we cleared up the rumors while we still had a chance.

So, here we were, in a studio in the heart of Trenton, New Jersey. We would've traveled back to Los Angeles for the interview, but Michael was already on a tight leash with the tour and with Frank so he couldn't take too many chances. I certainly didn't mind spending time with Michael on tour, but man, Frank really killed the fun sometimes.

Michael had been pacing the floor as I sat down in one of the director-like chairs where the interview would take place. Molly worked quickly and quietly on me while Karen was trying to talk to him from what I could see across the room.

I had no clue of what she was saying, but I could hope it was good things. I'm pretty sure she has it out for me, still. There was no getting along easily with her.

"Girl, Michael looks like he could have a breakdown any second," Molly comments as she lifts my head a bit to apply some touchups. She was right, of course. From the corner of my eye, Karen did manage to make him stop his pacing and sit down but he still looked worried.

"I think any interview can tend to make a person a bit nervous, don't you think?"

"Yeah, but shouldn't you be the one over there talking to him?"

"Well, as soon as you finish touching up, I can do that," she pulls away from me swiftly, packing up her tools after giving one more good look. "You're all set. Now, go and comfort your man!"

She gives a playful smack on my behind as I move towards Michael, as soon as I come close, Karen leaves. Which I'm glad for, she doesn't need to be listening anyways. Michael had his head in his hands so he doesn't acknowledge me at first, so I give him a light tap on the shoulder. His face was pale.

"Oh, hi."

"What's wrong? Molly said from where we were sitting that you looked like you were going to have a breakdown."

"I'm that obvious, huh? And here I thought I was hiding my nerves so well,"

"Wanna talk about it?" I asked, my voice full of genuine concern. I really didn't want to push Michael into this if he didn't want to do it.

"I don't know, girl. I'm just really conflicted right now; I like to keep certain things private and-"

"Michael, relax. It's Daryl, you know him, remember? This isn't some random nut off the street. And besides you don't have to tell him every single detail, I'll be right next to you the whole time, okay?" I run my fingers through his hair, fixing it up a bit as I sit opposite from him. His eyes gaze up at mine, his brown irises becoming more full of life within a matter of minutes.

That seems to have calmed down his nerves, with him taking in a good deep breath before rising from his chair. I offer him a small smile as I pull him in close to me by his collar, not really caring for anyone in the room watching us.