Changes

Kendra

Los Angeles, California.

December 31st, 1988.

I constantly kept checking the clock, it was currently 11:30 and Michael was nowhere to be found. The venue was filled with Michael's family and friends as well as mine. Gladys Knight's voice reverberated throughout the whole room as she spoke to many people in Times Square. My eyes glanced over the gold and silver decorations as I sat with the girls for the evening, it was nice to spend time with them but I'd rather spend the time ringing in the new year with Michael.

I almost considered getting up to dance but I decided against it, although it was tempting to get punished by Michael again, if you're picking up what I'm putting down.

I hoped he made it in time for the ball drop. He was in the process of coming back here from Tokyo, where he performed for Christmas. While he was gone, I spent that time with my family in Florida. The sunny weather took me by surprise since it was the middle of winter. So you can imagine how overdressed I was when I got there.

I step out the room, intending to call Mom up in Florida since I know for a fact that they'd always throw an annual New Year's Eve parties with their friends from work.

"Hey honey! Ala bon sa bon nouvo ane cheri! (Happy new year darling!)" Mom spoke in Haitian Creole, something she only does when she gets just a little drunk. It's actually derived or based from French so that maybe that also explained why I did so well in French class in school. She was really well-versed in schools with both, thank goodness I understood it but I'll be damned if I ever have to speak it.

"Aw Maman, je vois que vous buvez un peu ce soir, hein? (Aw Mom, I see you're drinking a little tonight, huh?)," I question her with a laugh.

"Natirèlman! New ane se yon selebrasyon! Di Michael Mwen swete li yon kè kontan ane nouvo twò (Of course! New year is a celebration! Tell Michael I wish him a happy new year too)," I could hear Mom's giggling on the line. Well, at least we know she was enjoying herself.

"Michael est pas encore là, maman. Voilà pourquoi je vous ai appelé avant qu'il ne se présentent. (Michael isn't here yet, Mom. That's why I called you before he does show up.)"

"Oke, gen kèk plezi aswè a ak tanpri pa fè yon manman bourik nan tèt ou. Pran anpil bo soti nan Michael nan bag an 1989! (Well, have some fun tonight and please don't make an ass of yourself. Get plenty of kisses from Michael to ring in 1989!)"

I hear a knock come to the door, signaling someone else must want to use the room for something.

"Ça ira. Nous parlerons plus quand vous n'êtes pas ivre, maman. Vous et heureuse nouvelle année d'amour à tous les gars! (Will do. We'll talk more when you're not tipsy, Mom. Love you and happy new year to all of you guys!)," I quickly hang up and let the other person come into the room as I head back out for the party.

Everyone's attention has been diverted temporarily from the TV as someone makes a grand entrance into the party. That someone just happens to be Michael and he's right on time, 11:50. With only a few minutes in the year left to spare. He goes around to just about everybody but I can already see his eyes searching for me in the crowd.

I decide to make his search easier by making my way to him, "Michael!"

I call out a few times before we make eye contact and a smile spreads across Michael's face. Once he gets close, he takes a firm grip on my hand and pulls me outside on the balcony where it was more quiet. I could actually hear myself think out here. The chilly air outside is in stark contrast to inside the venue, where so many packed bodies stood.