Off-Balance

Michael

Kendra.

Just saying her name brought back memories. Staring at her form as it stood in the doorway was indescribable, almost like I hadn't seen her in years. At this point, it could be true.

Despite the form-fitting T-shirt and baggy jeans, she still looked better than even the best high fashion model. Her red-tinted lips held a friendly smile, one I wasn't accustomed to from her anymore.

She almost glides across the floor as she makes her way towards my bed.

"I didn't take you for an X-Men fan," she comments, a hint of a laugh as she speaks.

"And you're not?" I was afraid of what to say so small talk was the best way to start. I didn't care about what I had just witnessed in the waiting room, she had to know.

"Oh, I am, trust me. Who's your favorite?"

"Nightcrawler. You?"

"Wolverine."

"Why?" I scoff at her choice, he seemed like everyone's go-to character. I was really enjoying this light-hearted discussion as it took me back to when we first started being friends. I cherished this, and I took this time with her and put it right where the hole in my chest was.

It was better than anything I had come to know, so I held onto it tight.

"I don't honestly know, maybe it's his attitude or his backstory. I mean, the man gives zero fucks."

There's a silence afterward, which makes me wonder why Kendra hasn't gotten even the slightest of mad at me yet. The thought of why scared me. She delves into the comic, seemingly escaping reality momentarily. Something I wish I could.

I let a few more moments of silence pass us by until I cut through it with my words. "Kendra."

At the call of her name, her head perks up from reading the comic. It was now or never.

"Listen, I know you probably came here to yell at me or something," I said, dread, anxiety, and longing seeping into my words.

"But, despite everything I've done, I still miss you. Miss us. Everything has gone to-pardon my language-shit since we broke up." I take a breath before continuing.

"I want to get back together, Kendra." I take hold of her hand, locking eyes to let her know I was serious. Not a single thing that left my mouth was a lie. It takes a few moments for the words to register for her.

"I-I... uh...don't know what to say, Michael," Kendra stutters, face contorted in confusion. Uncertainty and... realization passed over her face as she continued to hold my hand. Her face heated up at the attention but the feeling I used to get whenever we'd even make the slightest of contact seemed nonexistent.

"Kenz?" An unfamiliar voice cut through the tension that seemed to be building between us. This immediately makes Kendra rip her hand out of mine and face the voice.

No doubt, it caught me off-guard, as it did her.

"I hate to interrupt but I was told Michael had some other visitors that would like to come in," I look at the man as he nervously scratches his neck in the doorway. It was this man who had his lips all over my Kendra.

Kendra quickly clears her throat from a nonexistent blockage in it, a nervous laugh bubbles past her lips, "Where are my manners?"

I stop the scowl I wore towards this man as Kendra turned her attention back towards me.