What Kind Of Man

Kendra

September 24th, 1989.

New York City, New York.

They say breakups aren't the end of the world. And most people are right, I guess. But they never mention how hard it is to cut your ties from someone who you invested so much into. Michael was like my own personal garden, I planted my plots inside him. They seemed promising, growing with the love they needed and had so much more potential.

But left unkept, weeds began to grow in place of the flowers. And he weeded them out himself.

I made sure to make my exit from Neverland quickly and quietly. Luckily, I had my own property far from Michael. I had been discreetly paying the utilities and things on it for when I wanted to escape the walls of Neverland.

By August, just about everyone knew what had happened. Katherine offered words of comfort to me as well as everyone else. "You're such a good girl, I hate to see him let you go," were her sweet words over the phone to me. Gina, on the other hand, went against the grain and lambasted Michael. "He led you on, the bastard should've told you before he played you. But, unfortunately, just because Michael is famous doesn't mean he's above niggatry."

I rolled my eyes too hard at her words, but sadly she was in a way correct.

Whitney was even kind enough to invite me to her birthday party, I appreciated her support but somehow, I still took her support with a grain of salt. I mean, she's still closer with Michael than she is me.

Months passed, and soon enough it was September. Pre-production for the film I was set to star in had begun. It was an action/rom-com, kind of like Lethal Weapon mixed with Romancing the Stone.

My co-star was one of the famed members of the Brat Pack. And he seemed rather strange, but we became steadfast friends on set. Christopher Howard, I'd call him Chris for short. And he wasn't so bad on the eyes. White, but devilishly handsome. An Englishman as well.

He even asked to escort me to the SNL 15th Anniversary as friends tonight. He knew Prince, a close friend, was going to be there and he wanted to see him as much as I did.

I gladly accepted the offer. I was never the one to wallow in misery for too long so Sharon and Holly were still concerned.

"Kendra, you know, it's okay to not be okay so soon," Sharon places a comforting hand against my shoulder. She knew better than anyone what happened, seeing as I went straight to her after I left Michael sitting in silence on the floor.

That night was the most I ever cried for anyone. But after that, I never shed another tear. This was not my burden to bear, so I smiled more and laughed as often as I could stand. My smiles weren't always genuine but I did my best.

A gallon of ice cream and crying wouldn't change my situation. And I couldn't stand anymore pity that I received from all sides.

"I know," I smile at her. "But I can't just be stuck in misery, life doesn't stop for anyone, especially me."

"Seems like that white boy got you all silly," Holly commented from the couch. I roll my eyes, ever since I met Chris, Holly wouldn't stop teasing me about him.

It felt like nice to laugh and feel it all the way down to my toes. Chris was hysterical, in his own special way. Heading inside the studio elevator with him, he bends down in the corner.

"What the hell are you doing?"

He raises his eyes to me, "Eatin'?"

"In an elevator?" He continues to peel at tiny little orange without a care in the world.