Since You've Been Gone

(A/N: You guys are really gonna hate me for this but I'm going for it anyways! Anyways, enjoy this chapter. I spent the whole evening until about 1 AM typing this up just for you guys! Also, please ignore that weird spacing, I'm not sure why it has decided to look like that.)

Kendra

May 25th, 1990

Six months passed me by before I could even blink and now it was May. Another year older and maybe another year wiser. I had buried myself into more film work to help my mind not to dwell on my problems, specifically Michael but nothing got past Colette. She was like a fairy godmother or something, popping up out of nowhere.

I got out of bed and made my way into the kitchen after taking a shower and brushing my teeth to see Colette contently sipping on a mug of warm tea, the aroma of the peppermint invaded my nostrils as I sat across from her at the table.

"Morning," I greet. There was no point in questioning how she got in my place without a key so accepting it was the best option. Colette slides me a plate of breakfast food, which I gladly take from her.

"Kendra, I think you know why I'm here," Colette gave me a knowing smirk. It almost hurt to admit that I did know why she was here. Like I said, nothing got past this woman. She was way worse than Mom in that regard.

"I don't want to talk about it," I slide down the chair, hoping if I melt into the floor that we can avoid this discussion. But since Colette is like my Mom, she is not going to let this go that easily. Once my bottom has successfully hit the floor, I lay flat against the cold marble floor, hoping she'll think I've passed out or something.

"Kendra, get your limp noodles up now," I blow a piece of my newly cut and dyed hair out of my eyes as I continue laying on the floor. Colette was not going to break my resolve of not moving from this spot.

"Yes, I am, now get up," Colette speaks as though she read my mind. Knowing the extent of this magic stuff, she probably did. Huffing and puffing like a child, I raise myself up from the floor and meet Colette in the living room. She kindly pats the spot next to her on the couch where I plop down like a sack of potatoes.

"Look, I know this is difficult for you," Colette offers a comforting hand on my shoulder. An empathetic smile on her lips. "It's really been weighing on you, sweet girl."

"That's why I came with an offer, a sort of last resort option, if you will."

"Last resort?"

"It's not something I would usually offer but I'll make an exception for you," My ears perked up and my curiosity piqued at her words. I had been neglecting the fact that I had literal magic on my side this whole time, so anything that Colette offered me had to be something that would help me get through anything.

"Go on," I urge.

"Do you know how your brain functions with memories?"

I shrugged, "I guess."

"Well, your mind creates neural links to memories you create and places them in your conscious mind. Good or bad, they're connected to your conscious mind and often that shapes your perception of something or someone."

"Was that the scientific or English explanation?" I questioned with a hint of skepticism, but still becoming more and more interested by the second.

"A mix of both, it's really complex and simple in other words." Colette explains. "Think of it like a pen and a notebook."

She proceeds to take one of my legal notepads, scribbling a nonsensical sentence.