Practical Magic

(That isn't the actual shop, but just imagine that's what the shop looks like outside)

Kendra

Once that photo got to the press, they had a field day and even more people hiked outside Michael's hotel. It was like we weren't safe anywhere except the one place Michael kept a good secret. His hideout in Century City. I only had the privilege of going there once before and this was the second time, Michael and I laid across his couch, listening to his record collection on his sound system and to his reverberating heartbeat as I laid on his chest.

Michael drew small circles on my back as I snuggled myself closer to him, these moments being the calm before the storm so to speak. Every so often, I'd lift my head up and place a tender kiss on Michael's lips. He'd welcome them every time with more passion than the last.

His mouth tasting like a mix of chocolate he snacked on earlier and the peppermint of his toothpaste, it became quite addicting as time went on. But, as much as I'd love to say it satisfied my hunger, it did not. My stomach began growling like crazy and I could no longer hide it.

"Baby, is that a monster or your stomach?"

I can't help the smile that breaks out on my face as Michael says that, I raise myself off of him and begin rubbing my stomach like a child would.

"Sorry, I'm starving and the fridge in this place is empty."

"Want to pick up something? I'll give you some cash," Michael raises up and reaches his hand in his back pocket for his wallet, he takes out two one hundred dollar bills like it's nothing and places it in front of me. I hand it back to him and shake my head in disagreement.

"Mike, as much as I'd love to take your money, I can't. Besides, I have some money on me to spare," I pull on Michael's black coat, which seems to be too long on me but still warms me up better than my coat ever could. Even for spring in California, it was still quite chilly outside. Michael has a little smirk as his face as he watches me stand in his coat.

Michael meets me at the door, adjusting the coat on my shoulders and wiping for any dust that may have collected. He hands me my purse with care and before I even have a chance to thank him, he pulls me in for a quick but sweet kiss. It almost makes me want to stay but my stomach says otherwise, I've got to eat.

"Don't be too long, sweet cheeks." I raise my eyebrows at his attempt at a cute nickname but quickly go along with it, realizing that he's joking.

"I'll try my best, hot pants," I playfully smack his behind as I pull open the door to the apartment.

I wrap Michael's famous Burberry scarf around my neck to protect from all the windiness I encounter outside the building. Not even five minutes in my car and my phone begins ringing in my purse. I dig through the contents of my purse before grasping the phone in my hands and picking it up fast.

"Hello?"

"Little sister! I'm glad I finally caught you!" Shit. Shit. Shit. I should've let it ring. I had been avoiding the phone calls I'd been receiving since those pictures went public, I really didn't want to be lectured on how wrong it was of me to do what I did. Honestly, I think I was right for what I did.

"Oh, hi, Gina. Look, now's a bad tim-"

"Don't give me that bullshit excuse you've been giving Mom and Dad, I'm not them," I wish she couldn't see right through me. "Kens."

As soon as Gina utters that old nickname, I just know she doesn't have bad intention in her words. She'd always use it when she comforted me as a kid and it still has the same effect as it did when I was young. I let out a sigh of relief and Gina speaks up again.