Chapter 8 - Stuck In The Middle

A/N This chapter's a little different, in Ross's POV just to get his side of his thoughts and feelings towards Louise. Hope you guys like it!!

Ross's POV

What the hell was this? Why am I stuck in here with THEM? I didn't even do anything; I only shoved Louise after she shoved me! Now I'm sitting here in awkward silence with those two... I swear Mr Gregory did that on purpose, call us into his office and then not actually turn up. We've been in here a good five minutes and he's still not here...

"Sorry about that, Mr Keaton saw me on the way to his office..." Mr Gregory finally broke the silence as he walked into the room. I practically thanked God for his arrival, but it wasn't long lived. "What the hell is wrong with you guys?" He began as he sat down. Louise sank down in her chair – I know this isn't the first time she's been here – and Conor looked out of the window.

"There's nothing wrong with me." I stated. Everyone looked at me.

"Nothing?" Mr Gregory repeated as if he was going to catch me out. I could hear Louise snigger.

"No, Sir." I said confidently. There was a small silence as Mr Gregory pinched the bridge of his nose and took a deep breath in and out.

"There's something wrong with all of you." He mumbled loud enough for us to hear.

"Excuse me?"

"Conor, you need to let yourself go. You can wrap yourself up in your biker life when you're away from school, but you need to talk to people here... " Mr Gregory began.

"I don't want to talk to people here." Conor said suddenly.

"Conor, you're in school, you need to communicate in lessons!" Mr Gregory raised his voice.

"No I don't. This school is stupid, the people in here are stupid and I don't want to be at school. Does it look like I want to be a lawyer?" Conor looked out of the window. Mr Gregory couldn't find anything to answer that statement with, so he swiftly moved on.

"Louise, you're bright, you could go a long way in this school but you're ruining it with your fighting!" Mr Gregory looked at Louise, but her gaze was on the floor. I sniggered. Louise? Bright? I'd love to see proof of that.

"Screw. You. Ross." She said slowly and patronisingly.

"Louise..." Mr Gregory said, hoping to end this argument before it begun.

"What? He started it!" She said childishly.

"Anyway!" Mr Gregory ignored her statement. Got away with it again! I hid the smirk that was growing on my face. "Ross, can you not just get along with Louise? You guys used to be best friends! She's been through a lot and you're one of the only people who looked after her!" He said, thinking I was going to remember everything I've been through with her and run back to her with open arms. NO. I've dealt with too much with her and her problems. Yeah, her dad died and I helped her through that but then she went crazy and got into fights every day...

"No, Mr Gregory, I can't! You have no idea what I had to deal with and I don't want to deal with it anymore! Not to mention she hit me!" I said, arms folded. "Plus she has Conor as a best friend now!"

"We're not best friends." He said before I'd finished. Ouch. I could see Louise fidget in her chair like she used to do when she was upset but didn't want to cry. I knew everything about her, every facial expression, every look and every piece of body language. She was hurt. I couldn't help but feel in the pit of my stomach that bit of guilt, that small feeling of wanting to help her out... But I'm not dragging myself back down to her level again...

"Guys!" Mr Gregory began. "This isn't about who is best friends and who isn't! The point is two of you were on a 'three strikes and you're out rule' and the other is making more problems! Now you, Ross, should be happy to hear when I bumped into Mr Keaton, he told me to get rid of the three strikes rule..." My jaw dropped.

"How is that a good thing?" I spat.

"Ross!" He glared at me, before returning his gaze to Conor and Louise. "Instead of this three strikes rule and extra classes, you guys just have to go to detention classes every day for the rest of the school year."

"What the hell?" Conor shot a glare to Louise and then to Mr Gregory. "I'm not sitting in a room with her for a whole year!" Again, Louise shifted in her chair.

"She's not that bad!" I shouted at Conor before I had time to think about what I was saying. Before I knew it all three pairs of eyes were on me. I could feel my face burning with embarrassment. "Yeah I'm giving up with her but she's not that bad, Conor..." I finished. Crap. Why did I have to open my mouth?

"You stay in a room with her for an hour of each day then." Conor looked me up and down disgustedly.

"I spent my life spending hours a day with her..." I said honestly.

"Anyway, guys, there are a few other students being put on this detention thing, so all together there'll be five of you plus anyone who gains a detention for a day or week or month... Some days you could have fifteen people in your detention, others only you five..." Mr Gregory read a piece of paper as he said it.

"Who else?" Louise asked. She always needed to prepare herself if she had to spend time with people she hated.

"You and Conor obviously, Josh Patterson, Frank Masters and David Batista." I could see Louise shift in her chair once more.

"Sir, I've beaten up two of those guys..." Louise said, worried. "What will stop them ganging up on me in detention?"

"That won't happen, there will be a teacher observing each detention. The first detention will be tonight, I've already told both your parents."

"And which teacher is it?" Conor asked.

"Miss Roberston." Mr Gregory checked the rota.

"The geography teacher that weighs about fifty kilos and wouldn't hurt a fly? She's going to protect me from Frank and Josh?" Louise sat bolt upright in her chair. "What have they done? Why are they even in detention?"

"Josh is in for fighting with you and Conor and Frank has been fighting too... Only after you'd punched him and almost broken his nose..." Mr Gregory looked unimpressed at Louise.

"Can I go then?" I interrupted. "I mean, I'm not getting a detention..."

"Yes, fine." Mr Gregory shooed me out the door. Jheez what a waste of my time! I hope that Conor and Louise have a brilliant time getting detentions every day for the rest of the school year, I know I'll love not seeing her around as much to bring back the memories and make me wonder if I made the right choice when I got rid of her...