Chapter 20 - Bad Influence

A/N: PLEASE DONT HATE ME FOR THIS CHAPTER I LOVE YOU ALL! :)

Again, i wanted to say a massive thank you to you all, this story has passed my expectations by 100 and i am so happy! I've never been so excited about posting a new chapter for you guys! It means so much to me that you guys are reading my stories and liking them, so thank you for making me so happy! I hope you enjoy this chapter!! :D Have fun reading! ;) xxxx

Conor’s POV

Thank god David lied, it made everything that little bit easier. The police let us go and said they’d look into it. They haven’t come back to us since, so I’m thinking everything is going to be alright. Finally, everything might be alright. The weekend was spent recovering, but now it’s Monday and unfortunately that means more school and more detention! While lying in bed over the weekend, I thought long and hard about how I’d felt about Louise and what I should say to her, and for once I felt prepared and confident. I was going to stroll in today and tell her what I felt, lay it all out of the table and see what she said back. I got out of bed slowly and got ready as quickly as I could. The pain still remained but the doctors said I was alright. They said ‘the first few days after will be the worst, it’ll hurt more than it does now’ and they were right! As I styled my hair in the mirror, I looked at my reflection and felt ugly. The cuts and bruises, the swollen lip, the black eye… I wasn’t a great sight. I could call in sick, right? I mean it’d be alright, wouldn’t it? Uh, who am I kidding? I’m going to look like this for weeks. Staring again at my reflection, my gaze followed the edges of the mirror and I found myself staring at my laptop. David said if I logged into it every day I’d realise how much Louise meant for me. I hesitated. Do I want to look at it? I know how I feel. Surely there’s nothing more to it…

I jumped out of my bedroom window and climbed down to my bike and put my helmet on. My leathers felt really confined today, I don’t know how much of me is swollen from this fight but I actually feel enclosed in these today… I put my key in the ignition and drove to school.

Arriving at school, I pulled my helmet off and threw it in the top box on my bike. I pulled my leathers off and threw them in it too. I could sense the eyes of the school on me right now.

“Holy crap! What happened to you?” I looked to my right and saw the kid from the field – the one who told me about the rumours – walking beside me.

“I got into a fight.” I said shortly.

“Was it with David?” He asked quickly. I stopped walking and faced him.

“Why would it be David?” I questioned. He began to get nervous.

“Umm… You know… After… Him and Louise… Umm…” He stuttered before turning and speed walking into school without another word. What the hell was he going on about? That rumour was fake! We sorted that out already… Stupid kid… I walked into school and gave a dirty look to everyone who looked at me. I’m really not in the mood today.

“Oh-Em-Gee.” That annoying voice said from next to me. I looked round and saw Kaiya. “What happened to you?”

“I got into a fight.” I repeated.

“With who?” She questioned, trying to keep up with my strides. “David?”

“Why does everyone keep saying that?!” I exclaimed, again stopping and turning to her. “You’re the second person who asked if it was a fight with David!”

“You mean you don’t know?” She giggled evilly. “You know, I won’t tell you, I’ll just show you. I don’t want to say anything and it get taken the wrong way…” She grabbed me by the arm and walked me down the hallway to the cafeteria. I could hear mumbles from the school behind me as she flung the doors open and my eyes searched the tables for Louise.

“What?” I said, not being able to see her. She pointed over to a table in the far left corner where she was sitting with one person. They were holding hands across the table. She laughed and spoke to him and then they leant across the table to kiss each other. I felt my heart slowing down, I felt my breathing hitch. I just stared. I didn’t care that the whole cafeteria were staring at me. I just stared at them. Why? What did I miss? What did I do? I walked over to their table and looked down at them both.

“Conor!” Louise said happily. “You look so much better! How are you feeling?” I just glared at her.

“Why?” I asked as if she hadn’t said anything to me.

“Why what?” She asked.

“You and him.” I said, not caring about how many people would see me differently for showing my feelings for a girl in school.

“What?” David questioned. The sound of his voice was enough to want to punch his head off his shoulders.

“Why are you with him?” I asked her, pretending he wasn’t here.

“Excuse me?” He said, sounding offended.

“He asked me out and I said yes.” Louise said indifferently.

“When?” I questioned.

“The day we were in A&E after you’d walked out.” She stood up. “Conor, whats the problem?”

“He is!” I exclaimed. The cafeteria was deadly silent, like we were the only ones in it. I felt the tension build.

“Me?” David stood up and squared up to me.

“Yes. You!” I hissed looking at him up and down.

“Guys, come on!” Louise pleaded. “Not here…” I watched her look around embarrassed. I imagine the whole school was here for this.

“Conor. There shouldn’t be a problem here…” David tried to sound calm.

“There is a problem. You are my problem.” I clenched my fists. If this guy says one more thing I’m going to throw him out of this cafeteria without a second thought…

“Conor, come on…” Louise put her hand on my arm. “Not here…” I felt better every moment she was focussing more on me than David, but he knew that and always brought her attention back.

“Conor, we’re dating. The end. There shouldn’t be an issue should there?” David smirked. My arms tensed and Louise could feel it.

“David, enough!” She spat. “Let’s just stop it now before someone gets hurt!” She looked back at me. “Conor, he’s right though. Just because we’re together doesn’t mean you can come in here and start shouting at us. You should be happy!”

“You deserve better than him.” I said through gritted teeth.

“Pfft, like who? You?” David laughed. “You’re the worst person she’s ever had the misfortune to meet! You’re the worst influence on her!” With that I threw Louise’s grip off my arm and stormed out. How could he say I was the worst influence? No way! I helped her a lot through all this, all the problems with Ross, the fights with Josh and the detentions and yet she goes to him?

“Conor!” I heard her call from behind me but I just threw my helmet on and jumped on my bike, speeding out of the school. “CONOR!” I heard again.

I was breathing hard and heavy, I couldn’t get his words out of my head. My mind was replaying the whole thing over and over and over. They were together? Those two? They’d known each other for a few days… He stole my opportunity to walk her home; That could be me with her if he’d have kept his mouth shut! I twisted the accelerator and sped, the speedometer going slowly higher and higher – 40,45,50,55,60. I could feel the wind hitting my body and making my arms sting. It stung like my heart did. I sped round the corner and headed up the straight road, this was my road for speeding. I again pulled back on the accelerator – 70,75,80. The adrenaline was overpowering the pain and I felt better, I felt happy, I felt… I gasped and pulled the brake as hard as I could, causing the bike to go off balance, it wobbled left and right and I tried to steady the bike but collided with the passenger door of the car who had pulled out in front of me. I flew over the top of the car and as I did, all my memories of Louise flashed before my eyes. I landed with a thump on the ground beside the car. Pain coarsing through my body.

That was it.