Chapter 23 - Truth Hurts.

Conor’s POV

I saw her face drop, her body slump, the spark in her eyes died right in front of me. God this was going to be as difficult as they said.

“W-What?” She said, barely able to breathe. Her reaction wasn’t what I was expecting.

“I’m so sorry, Louise.” I said, my heart breaking as I watched her break down right in front of me. Please say this is the right thing to do. After telling my parents the whole story, they agreed she probably didn’t like me how I liked her, after all she was young and care-free and innocent. They said it’d be wrong for me to carry on like I was; interrupting her lunch meetings with David and all that. It was a shame, though, after the fight I realised how much she meant to me. I was ready to put my life on the line to make sure she was ok, but she repaid me by going out with David. That proved to me she wanted nothing to do with me…

“But Conor…” She managed to say. “We… I… love…” She was interrupted with the door swinging open behind her. She jumped forwards and turned round. There at the door stood David.

“Sorry, am I interrupting something?” He said smarmily. Yeah, just what I needed.

“Yes, you are actually. Now get out.” I said, but he just looked at me like I was pathetic and walked over to Louise.

“Babe, what’s wrong?” He pulled her in for a hug and for the first time ever, I saw her give in. She wrapped her arms around David and buried her head into his shoulder. “Are you alright?” He pretended to care. He grinned at me as if to say ‘Look what I have!’. If I could get up I would have, and I’d have thrown him out of that hospital before he could say anything.

“I’m sorry!” She apologised to him. “I’m sorry to both of you…”

“Don’t be sorry!” David said while looking over to me. “You’ve made me the happiest guy ever, being my girlfriend… And all the late nights and the fun we’ve had…” He winked in my direction and I lost it. I sat up swung for him, and to my surprise it actually hit but then the pain started. I fell back onto the bed clutching my wrist as the pain was throbbing up my arm. I screamed out.

“Conor!” Louise screamed. “Are you alright?” I writhed around in pain.  Louise ran round and pressed the emergency call bell and loads of doctors and nurses ran in.

“What happened?” One of the nurses shouted.

“He punched him!” Louise said, pointing down to David who was clutching his face on the floor. “Is he going to be alright?”

“Get him painkillers… We’ll have to get him back into X-Ray.” The doctor ordered and the nurse ran out and back in. Before I knew it there was a drip going up and into my arm. “It’ll take a while, but the pain will go.” The doctor tapped me on the leg. “I’m going to have to call security…”

“Leave the girl. She was visiting before he came in.” I managed to say through gritted teeth as the pain coursed through my body as it had done when I’d come off my bike. The security at the door walked in and took David out of the room and to my surprise Louise just sat down in the room and waited.

“A-Are you alright?” She said after the painkillers had begun to kick in.

“I am now, thank you.” I breathed a sigh of relief. “These painkillers are amazing…”

“Great! I’m going to have to talk to you when you’re drugged up!” She laughed. She laughed that laugh I loved. The one that made me smile and feel like everything was alright.

“So what were you going to say before HE came in?” I questioned. I turned my head to look at her again, but she was looking at the floor.

“It-it doesn’t matter now… You’ve said what you needed to say.” She said with regret.

“Louise, you’ve got to understand, I was an idiot and I didn’t realise what an amazing girl you were until it was too late. Now I realise that I obviously had different feelings towards you than you had towards me.” I could feel these painkillers taking their toll and making me think everything I was saying was necessary. I was going to end up saying something I regretted.

“What do you mean?” She questioned. “I lo- I really liked you Conor… I still do!” My mind went blank. So she did like me? After all this trouble and time and effort, we felt the same way?

“But… All this time…” I started, but I couldn’t think how to finish my sentence. The more I looked into the situation; the way she acted around me, how she helped me, stuck up for me, joined me in fights… It seems so obvious.

“All this time, Conor, you were just too blind to see it.” She clasped her hands together and intertwined her fingers.

“But you’re with David.”

“The day we got to A&E and the police were there? Remember? You walked off because David had annoyed you. I pleaded with him to say it was just a gang, not yours, and he said he’d lie if I went out with him. I did that for you.” She slowly looked up. “I never liked him as much as I liked you.” I suddenly felt like an idiot. How could I not have seen that? She forgot about plans with him because she wanted to see me.

“Wow. Unbelievable.” I said. “How could he blackmail you like that?”

“I thought I was doing you a favour.” She said, sounding disappointed.

“You were, you did! He’s just been a stress to me ever since he walked you home before I could ask you…” I instantly regretted saying that. Stupid drugs. Now I sound all soft and loving.

“You wanted to walk me home that day?” She felt the need to check I was making sense, it seemed.

“Yes. I did. For ages I regretted that day. I could have been where he was, all close and friendly and everything. When those rumours sparked, I lost it. When he said something about you, it wound me up. I wanted to be there cos I knew I was better than him.” I looked up to the ceiling. Thanks to lots of painkillers, I’m spilling my heart out to her.

“I knew you were better than him too.” She laughed. “We made a big mess of this didn’t we? It was so simple. We liked each other. Instead of just admitting it and going out, we’ve managed to get into this state…”

“You know me and Kaiya was just a one day thing… Like…” I began.

“Yeah, you slept together, I get it. You’re a guy.” She interrupted.

“No. Never.” I said confidently. “I wanted to see if it’d work, me and her, and it didn’t. After I saw how upset you got, I called up David and he explained that you liked me, but he said I was too late… That night I broke up with her!”

“So David’s been playing us both?” She asked and I nodded. It suddenly felt like everything was getting back on track. Things were finally looking up. Things were going to end up how I wanted them.

“Stupid, aren’t we? Both falling for the same rubbish.” I laughed.

“Conor, I love you…” She said quickly.

“Come here…” I said and she stood up, looking down at me. “Despite the fact I look like a mess and I’ve got broken bones and I have had enough painkillers to put an elephant to sleep , I am still alright enough to say that I feel the same…” I took a deep breath in and out. She leant forward and planted a kiss on my lips. I quickly pouted mine to kiss her back. I felt so useless now, my body was calling for me to pull her close and tell her everything will be alright and to kiss her how I have wanted to for ages, but instead I have to lay in this bed and wait even longer. “Louise, I love you.”

A/N: I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! 36 reads and 4 comments in a few hours! <3 <3 I just wanted to update again because even i couldnt handle the cliffhanger I left it on, so there you go, it's all happier at the moment!! This is NOT the end of the story though!! I've got a few more things planned :P I just want to say thank you all so so much for your support, every read, vote and comment has made me smile and made this worthwhile, so thank you all so much!! I may be at work tomorrow, if i'm feeling better, so i may not be able to update again until Wednesday! xxxxxxxxxxx