Chapter 31 - He's Home!

Conor's POV

Again, our days of planning were put off by numerous things. We got to school that day, saw my gang there, saw David get stabbed and got told by police to stay in school and they'd have some more police round later to get our statements. No matter how many times I said to them I didn't see anything happen because I was talking to Jason and then comforting Louise, they felt the need to question both of us anyway. So back at a police station for the second time we had to give statements for David's stabbing and statements for the park incident. The police said if they needed to call us up to court for the sentencing, we'd have to go, but if they could find enough evidence without us needing to go there they were happy for us to carry on with our lives. Maybe for the first time since we met, Louise and I could actually have some time to ourselves without something interrupting us... I got dressed and smiled at myself in the mirror. For the first time in a long time, I was looking forward to going out. I was happy.

"Hello?" I picked up my phone, vibrating on the table.

"Conor, did you hear the news?" Louise asked.

"What news?" I always get left out of news. I took a seat on the end of my bed just in case it was something I didn't want to hear.

"Your gang assaulted the policemen when they got to the station... Looks like they're going to have more things to charge them with. Turned out one of the policeman's wives was one who got beaten up by them a few months ago. It's all fitting together. We might not have to go to court!" She sounded happy and relieved.

"Well, it's good news but not good for those poor officers!" I said, sighing at how idiotic that group were. Why did I hang out with them? I was better than all of them. "Hey, I tell you what... Let me treat you to dinner tonight, we can celebrate!" I said, smiling to myself.

"Oh Conor, that's a great idea! But I'm happy to pay for my meal! I'm not-" I rolled my eyes and interrupted.

"I'm paying." I said sternly.

"You sure?" Louise asked.

"Of course, I wouldn't suggest it otherwise!" I laughed. "Look, I'm going out with my mum in a minute. We're going to pick Jack up!"

"Oh wow that's great news!" Louise cheered. "I'm so happy he's alright! I'll have to come round and say hi to him!" It was nice to see and hear someone paying my brother good attention rather than seeing him as someone with difficulties and teasing him. It just made me love her more.

"Alright, how about you get here for 5? You can talk to him before we go out. We might be out till late..." I hesitated. "I mean I can pick you up if you want?" I thought I'd said too much, I didn't want to ruin the after-dinner surprise!

"I can make my way, don't worry! Saves you coming out!" She said cheerfully. "I'll see you then?"

"Of course, I look forward to it!" I said.

"Hope Jack's alright, and enjoy him being back! I'll see you later! Love you!" She said to me, slightly sad we had to stop talking.

"I will!" I laughed. "Jack and I shall see you at 5. Love you! Bye." I hung up the phone and breathed a sigh of relief. It was good news, for once!

"Conor? You ready to get Jack?" Mum called up the stairs.

"Yeah, I'm on my way down!" I ran out of my room and down the stairs to my mum, jumping in the car excitedly like a child going to a theme park.

***

Louise's POV

I got there 10 minutes early and rang the bell eagerly. There were too many great things finally happening to me I could barely focus. Here I was, about to go on my first proper date with Conor Maynard, the guy from school who was in a gang and never associated himself with anyone in school. The guy all the popular girls wanted to be with and all the popular guys wanted to be friends with. I WAS WITH HIM! Louise, that clever girl who got A's in my tests but also punched guys in the face, the one who's life was so messed up after her dad died... Me... He was with me. The door opened and before I had time to register I had arms flung around my shoulders for a hug and a chest in my face.

"You look lovely! I'm so happy to see you again!" Conor's mum squealed happily. I was going to smile but realised she wouldn't have been able to see it, so I simply hugged her back and waited for air to be able to reach my face again.

"Mum! Enough!" Conor shouted from inside the house and she let go, apologising as she did so.

"You look lovely too, Mrs Maynard!" I said politely. "It's lovely to be back here!" I smiled as she led me into the living room where Jack was sitting. He looked much healthier.

"LOUISE!" He shouted loudly and I ran over to him, we hugged tightly. "I missed you when I wasn't here." He said to me.

"I missed you too!" I said back and his hug tightened.

"Jack told all the nurses about you, didn't you Jack?" Conor urged him to start a conversation.

"Yes!" He said as he let go of me and I bent down in front of him, but he got nervous and looked at the floor. "I told them all how you and Conor had saved me and you're the best friend I've had other than Conor but he's my brother so it doesn't count." He let out a childish laugh.

"And you know what, Jack?" I said happily. "You're my best friend too!" I saw his face light up. I sat down on the sofa and talked with Jack and his mum for a long time as Conor got ready. It felt homely, they felt like they were my family and I felt so comfortable around them all, I would have moved in that day if someone had asked me! I don't know how anyone could think badly of this family, they were the best people I'd ever met!

"Sorry to break up the lovely moment but we've got to get going..." Conor said regrettably, but Jack and his mum smiled and let me get up, say my goodbyes and leave with Conor. We jumped on his bike and rode to a lovely restaurant in the middle of town called Gino's. I hadnt been there before but I had heard all about it - award winning, posh and expensive.