Chapter 11 - Stolen Lines

A/N Hey guys! Again i wanted to say the hugest thank you i can, i reached 30 VOTES and as i said before, more votes than chapters so WOOOOO! I absolutely love each and every one of you! Because of this amazing number of votes, i've decided to do a chapter in Conor's view! I hope you like it, it gives you an insight into his life and it's quite emotional! Dedicated to @MayniacForLife0 who only just got a wattpad account but has been following this story and tweeting me! So thank you and i love you! Hope you all enjoy this chapter and Happy Reading!! xxxxx

Conor’s POV

“You think you’re funny?” I snapped as I spun round to Josh and Frank. They immediately stopped laughing and stood bolt upright. I hated to have to be the one feared by everyone, but at the end of the day it’s better than being the victim.

“Yeah, actually I do…” Josh shrugged at me and looked me up and down. He always looked at me like a piece of dirt. “It reminds me of what I used to do to your brother…” My blood started to boil, my face felt hot, my cheeks burning as I replayed the times Josh used to pick on my brother for having learning disabilities…

***

“Ahh look at him, he’s crying!” Josh shouted to the crowd of people laughing at my brother who lay on the floor bruised and beaten. I told him he shouldn’t have spoken to Josh, but he never listened. He idolised him.

“Leave him alone!” I pushed through the crowd and stood in front of Josh, my fists clenched despite never having punched anyone.

“What are you going to do, Conor? You’re just as pathetic as him…” Josh pushed me to the floor and spat on me. The crowd laughed and applauded Josh for what he’d done and walked off with him, leaving me and my brother on the floor.

“Are you alright?” I asked Jack as he curled into a ball, tucking his knees into his chest.

“Of course not! Why was he so mean to me?” I could just hear over the sobs. This was the moment it hit me. I needed to be strong, strong enough for both of us. I needed to fight for the both of us. I needed to be my brother’s idol so he was never let down again. That day I went home and ran straight up to my room, I missed dinner and everything just to train; to build up muscle and look more threatening and to learn how to fight. I never went to lessons, I taught myself…

***

“Don’t go there…” I shook my head. I prayed he wouldn’t talk about him. I didn’t always want to hit people and have popular girls drool over me because I’m that guy they want to protect them and would scare off other guys. I still don’t want to be that.

“Can you guys do this another time?” David interrupted us. “Maybe we could think about helping Louise first?”

“Help Louise? Please, I just did her a favour…” Josh laughed.

“Too right, she’s got issues!” Frank tried to add in, but instead he received an evil glare from Josh.

“Just shut up.” Josh mumbled to Frank, who looked at the floor.

“Did her a favour?” David stood up and stood by my side. “If anything, she did you guys a favour by hitting you…” He looked angry, like they’d insulted someone he was so keen on. He’d only known her for one day!

“Oh David, really? You’re on their side?” Frank laughed patronisingly.

“Better than your side by a long shot…” David sneered back. Frank took a few steps forward to intimidate David but instead, David took a few steps forward to. “What you gonna do, Frank? Hit me too?”

“Guys…” I held my left arm out in between them. “This isn’t your fight…” I glared into Josh’s eyes. They showed no emotion, they seemed blank. “What’s wrong with you anyway, Josh? Why’d you turn out like such a psycho? Was it your mum? Your dad?” I could see his fists clench; He obviously has a soft touch for his family. He’s used mine against me, so I’ll use his against him. “Was it the fact your dad never told you he loved you? That he spent more time loving his hobbies than you? That your pet had a better relationship with your dad than you? And you know why that is, Josh? Cos you’re a screw up. A huge one. One that caused so much embarrassment to your family they wanted to pretend you never existed…”

“Shut up…” Josh scowled at me.

“Not nice is it?” I laughed. “Just remember I know as much about your screwed up childhood as you know about mine, so watch yourself.” Josh hesitated, thinking of something to say back but he couldn’t. The truth of the matter was I could always silence him and part of me hated doing it, because we used to be such good friends…

“Hey guys!” David shouted from behind me. I span round to see Louise sitting up, holding her face. “Hey Louise, don’t touch that…” He moved her hand away from her nose. “Let’s get her up!” he said enthusiastically to me. I walked over and grabbing one arm as he grabbed the other, we pulled Louise onto a chair.

“What happened?” She said croakily.

“Josh head-butted you.” David said quickly. “Are you alright?” She looked around, gazing at each of us for a while. Her eyes met mine and I felt happy, relaxed, like I could gaze into those eyes forever and feel like I didn’t have a worry in the world. She was one of the only people in this school who didn’t chase after me, didn’t want me for what I looked like so they could show off their arm candy. She spoke to me like I was normal… Like I was another guy in the school.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” She finally broke her eye contact with me. “How do I look?” David let out a laugh thinking she was worried about her hair being out of place or something, but I knew what she meant.

“You don’t look that bad. Bruising is beginning to come through but other than that you look fine.” I said honestly.

“Thanks.” She smiled at me. “Gotta hide that for when I get home!” I wanted to ask her about her home life. It seemed to be something she skipped over every time we spoke and when Mr Gregory mentioned her dad she went crazy… I mean it can’t be much worse than mine, and certainly doesn’t involve the heart-wrenching stories involving my brother…

“Shit. The teacher’s coming!” Frank exclaimed as he looked out of the window. We all sat down quickly, pulling out something that would look like we had worked through this hour.

“Sorry I’m so late!” Mr Khan walked in, a pile of books nearly sending him off balance.

“Umm, Sir?” David looked at the clock. “We only have five minutes left of detention…”

“You do? I thought it was… Oh dear…” He stuttered. “Look, you guys just go home… 5 minutes won’t hurt.” He’d barely finished the sentence before Josh and Frank were out of the door of the hall. Louise, David and I slowly packed up and walked out. Maybe I should ask Louise if she needs someone to walk home with, just in case they jump her… Will she find me stupid for asking that? I should ask it. Go on. Say it!

“Will you be alright getting home? I could walk with you if you want, you know, just in case?” David said as I opened my mouth. I stood shocked as I waited for her reply.

“Yeah, that’d be great! Thank you David, you’re such a sweetheart.” She smiled sweetly at him. My stomach dropped. My head played different ways I could kill him for getting there before me. That could have been ME walking her home. I’ve known her for longer. I’ve helped her with more and this asshole is going to take the credit for it?

“Well, see you later then Conor!” He said chirpily as he put his arm round Louise’s shoulders and walked away from me.

 “Yeah, bye.” I grumbled. Just wait till I see him again… I won’t be helping him out any more…