Chapter Thirty Nine

Bethan's POV

"Urm, hello, I'm Bethan," I said, walking into the small office. The smell of coffee was strong as was the migraine I had forming. I had entered the office of my new lawyer. I thought I could seamlessly not be involved in this court case, but the only thing that I didn't have to be involved in was picking the lawyer. My case was given out to a law firm who delegated clients cases anonymously, only looking the physical case and not any personal details such as names.

"Hello Miss, but I'll need more details to be able to send you on the right way." I felt myself cringe at my stupidity of not taking into account something like saying my last name to a stranger to help me in a building I'd never been to before. Was I overthinking? Yeah.

"Right sorry, Bethan O'Conner, and I'm here to see..." I said, fumbling with my bag to try and open it up to get the name of who I was meant to be meeting. I felt myself sweating from nerves and the stupid "smart" blouse I was wearing. I was finding it hard to breath. Was the top too tight? Was it something else? I kept getting lost in my mind. "Jamie Clemens. Their office is up these stairs and down the hall. The name will be on the door," the woman said, smiling. "Thank you," I said smiling, walking toward the staircase. Then my head started pounding; did that woman see all the details of my case? Did she know everything? I felt myself lean to my side, finding a banister to lean against, without even realising that I was on the stairs. I took my time, making my way to this guys office trying not to think about what was going to happen.

I knocked on the door, shocked when it was suddenly opened to see a woman in her mid 30s, wearing glasses, hair in a messy bun. "Oh sorry, I'm looking for Jamie, I must have the wrong office," I said sheepishly, turning away to leave. I suddenly heard her laughing. "Why do people always assume I'm a man? Half the guys here don't even know how to butter a piece of bread let alone be a decent attorney." I was shocked. How could the first thing I think is that they would of been a man? I am a fool.

"I'm so sorry-" I began, before she smiled and laughed again. "Don't say another word like that, I promise you, I'm not offended- it's the name." I think I was becoming a lot more comfortable.

"Okay, so I've read through you files. I know what's happened and... I'm sorry. At this age...this shouldn't happen." It wasn't that what she was saying wasn't comforting. But I still sat in front of her, my head down, fiddling with my fingers. Got they were dirty. How can I have showed up to this meeting with chipped nail polish? Was this blouse getting tighter? What did that poster say? Was that a picture of her family? I can't breath.

"Bethan." Shit. "I'm sorry, I appreciate everything you're doing...I'm just...I don't like talking about it that's all." What a stupid response. "Honestly Bethan...you shouldn't feel bad for finding his hard. I would be more worried if you weren't. And this will not be easy, and I'm sorry that it won't be easy. But it'll be worth it, if we can bring the consequences he deserves...that's what matters. I have no say in what this fuckers charges are in the drugs and laundering...but I will make sure he gets what he deserves for what he did to you."

I was both 110% reassured and impressed by the fact she said fucker.

The meeting went on for another 40 minutes. I answered questions on specific events, keeping my nerve and cool more than I thought I would.

I left the building, feeling much better than when I went in. I walked towards the bus stop, about to call Taylor and tell him how it went. Then I saw him. He was there. My blood went cold. I could tell hair. His overpowering height. My heart couldn't stop beating. They never mentioned it he was put in jail or that parole thing where they can leave when someone's paid them off? What was going on? He couldn't be. What was I going me to do?

He turned around. And of course it wasn't him. Just some random guy. I heard a beep. My heart stopped again, realising that this must be tight behind me. Mocking me. Like how he always mocked me. I kept walking forward, as fast away as I could.

"Bethan! Bethan!" He said in his glorious voice. I turned, seeing his smiling face. I quickly walked towards his parked car, taking in every aspect of his face. His smile, his curls, his sunglasses, his constant chewing of gum. "I left the meeting a bit earlier, I knew I should have come picked you up anyway, it was stupid of me not to-" he said, as I walked around the car and got in to the other front seat. "Taylor-" "I know I'm an idiot-" That's when I decided to lean in and kiss him. His stubble scratching my face, his spearmint taste, the smell of his cheap aftershave (but nice smelling aftershave I wouldn't admit to liking the smell of). "You're not an idiot," I said as I pulled my face away. He seemed to be a bit dazed. I giggled realising I had that effect on him. "Why didn't you turn around when I honked?" I shuddered again. "I thought you were someone else.." "Who else would it be," Taylor laughed, starting the engine up. " I don't know..." I could feel him looking at me, knowing something was up. I didn't want to look at him, in fear that I'd just break down.