Chapter Twenty Eight

As we sat down, and looked at the menus on our table, I realised that there was no way of me concentrating. The cafe was already a cute place to eat but now it was transformed into a beautiful setting for me and Taylor's first date.

As I looked at the delicate lights surrounding us, I felt someone looking at me. I looked across the small table to see Taylor smiling at me. All I could fathom was a laugh. But I was wrong, as I felt tears prick my eyes. Taylor's eyes instantly stopped smiling at me. "What's wrong?" He said and automatically got up to walk around the table and crouch next to me. He took my hand in his and looked up at me with puppy dog eyes. "I know it's a lot...maybe a bit much for a first date...but I wanted to make you feel amazing, not cry," he said. "I'm sor-" I cut him off by leaning down to kiss him. I cupped his face in my hands, and melted into his perfection. I felt his long eyelashes gently brush the skin on my face. As we broke away, I held him in my hands and looked at him. "It's perfect," I said.

"This is amazing," Taylor said and he finished chewing a piece of his bruschetta. "Mmmm," I nodded as I had a mouthful of it. He laughed at me and I blushed. "So," I said wiping my mouth. "How did you get Gino to let you have this place to yourself for tonight?" I asked. "Well, I called him straight away, and was devastated when he told me that the place was shut for the night. He asked why I wanted to know and so I told him. He kind of...fangirled I guess. And he said he had the perfect idea. He's trying out his menu on us, seeing as he wants to change this place to a cafe AND restaurant," Taylor said. "You two are like my guinea pigs," said Gino as he walked around the corner of the kitchen. "My love guinea pigs," he said in his aged Italian accent. Still, it brought to mind a scene from Lady and the Tramp; I mean, the lady had red hair like me and the tramp had dark fur, like Taylor's dark clothing. Bella.

I cut the pieces up of goats cheese ravioli and pesto whilst Taylor twirled the tagliatelle on his plate around his fork. As much as we had in common, we also had differences, and could sometimes be polar opposites. However in that moment, that thought didn't scare me, but excite me. I wanted to know what would happen with Taylor next even though it was only the first date. I wanted to see how we would balance out and if we'd even balance out.

"That was amazing," I said, sitting back in my seat, clutching my bloated stomach. "By the way, have I mentioned you look amazing tonight?" Taylor said. I blushed and reached my hand across the table to hold his. Our fingers interlocked. "You may have said it once or twice. Have I told you that you look incredibly handsome tonight?" "Look, Bethan, you've said it enough, I know you want me," he replied, with his sassy straight face. I laughed and squeezed his hand tighter. "I've been found out," I said and leaned across the table, him doing the same, for us to share a sweet, tender kiss.

After sharing an ice cream and Gino taking a cute picture of us, we started to walk along the sidewalk. His hand found mine instantly. I looked up at him smiling. After a few seconds, he turned his face to me. "What are you staring at?" "Something really good and something that makes me happy," I said and squeezed his hand. "Good. A good boyfriend does that." I stopped. "So is that what we are...not just together but...boyfriend and girlfriend?" He stopped in his tracks. "Well, obviously if you want to be! I mean, I know that we should take things slow...but we've never really taken things slow in reality...and I really like you! But it doesn't have to be this way...I mean-" I cut of his nervous gabber with a kiss. I had to stand on my tiptoes, but soon he leaned into the kiss and placed his two hands on my lower back. "I'd be honoured to be your girlfriend," I said and laughed. "Oh yeah, in that case...are you cold?" "A little...but why Taylor?" I laughed. He took off his jacket. "Why do you think I told you to leave your jacket in the car?" He draped it over my shoulders. The familiar smell of peppermint and his cologne filled my senses. He held my hand and I think we walked to his car. Sometimes I wondered if we floated, because we were most definitely on cloud nine.

We got to my building and I climbed out of the car, followed by Taylor. "I would have opened the door for you," he said. "Oh gosh darnit, how will you ever forgive me," I said. "You're lucky that your sarcasm makes you cute," he replied and wrapped his arm around me. "Before you go, there's one more place we have to visit."

We stood on the top of the building like we had done on valentines day. As Taylor finished climbing up behind me, I walked over near the edge and looked out over the view. The lights of the city called to me, telling me to see that they had to do a lot of bad before the good. That I had to go through these tests set before me, to reach something amazing. Maybe it was God testing me. In all honesty it probably was.

Even with all this joy that I was thinking of, my mind wondered to that day, the one where I thought I wouldn't make it out alive and where I nearly got rid of Taylor from my life. I felt a hand on my shoulder and jumped.

I should have known it was Taylor but in that moment I didn't know who it could have been. I was just scared from the memories that I'd had of that day. "You okay?" he said. "I am now," I replied looking at him. "Hey, guess what I'm going to do next?" He said and wrapped his hands around my waist. "What are you going to do?" I asked. "What I should have done the last time we were up here," he said and took my hand to spin me around, catch me in a dip. He kissed me as I laid on his knee, giggling at his gesture. I felt him wobble, as he slowly tried to place me on the floor, laying on top of me. I couldn't stop my laughing. "I swear to God, I'm like an amazing dancer," he said and I kept laughing. He held my face and kissed me to shut me up. It worked.