Chapter Eighteen

Taylor's POV

Two fractured ribs

Concussion to the back of the head

Nearly punctured lung

Multiple bruises to the body and face

But she was still with me, sitting next to me at 7 am in the LAPD station. The attack happened around 11pm in the alley way off Williams Street. I remember driving past to find a spot and seeing a glimpse of her walking towards me. I smiled at just catching sight of such beauty. I had spent the night chilling with Jeremy and Justin while Bethan was with Hayley, but for the life of me I couldn't stop thinking about Bethan. I hadn't told her yet but Paramore had gotten a slot in the Australian music festival, Soundwave, that would start on the 23rd of February and continue into the start of March. We weren't going to play the last few shows but instead promote the album seeing as we had such a big fan base in Australia. The thing was, I was nervous about telling her, I didn't want to leave her for so long. At the same time, I didn't have a clue what I was going to do when I got back.

Spending the year in LA had been really tough. My family are all so close, so it was such a weird experience to wake up and not be able to drive for 10 minutes to go see them. Working in the studio obviously helped, and just chilling with Hayley and Jeremy. But at the end of the day, I hadn't quite enjoyed myself as much before Bethan came into my life. I wasn't looking forward to going back home to Nashville anymore. In reality, I wasn't looking forward to deciding whether I was going back to Nashville or staying where ever Bethan was. I remember the crush I had on her when we toured with "Please Clarify" and the regret I had at not asking her out. Then when she went off the rails, it made everything worse. I tried to contact her but she never responded and soon enough I gave up. I remember refreshing her twitter every minute, waiting for her to say something. But nothing ever came.

Ever since she told me about Sam abusing her, I regretted not trying harder to keep in touch. Maybe if I'd pushed that bit more we could have become friends and she could have opened up to me. I could of made Sam go away. And she could of been happy with me. It had taken a couple of weeks to realise it and too many horrible and perfect events for me to realise that I like Bethan. A lot. And I needed her. It also made me start to question whether or not she liked me or even if she was ready to be with someone. But at that moment in time I felt guilty thinking about her in that way when the unimaginable had happened to her.

I remember sitting in the car, waiting for her to emerge in my rear view mirrors, so I could jump out and open a door for her. But that didn't happen. After I realised it had been 5 minutes, I knew something was up. I got out of the car and walked towards the alley way. I heard Bethan's cry and a sharp slap along with swearing. I felt the blood in my body turn cold. My first instinct was to run up the alley way and try and save Bethan, but even I knew that wasn't smart. I called up the police and spoke as fast as I could. I then turned the corner, and saw Bethan on her knees and one of them unbuckling his belt. When they heard the police two ran and another three stayed. The guy with the phone said it wasn't for them but I spoke up. "It is for you," I said. Another two ran, but the guy with the phone stayed. He had black greasy hair and a greasy looking face. He made me sick. Bethan reached out to me but he pulled her down by her hair. Her back hit the ground hard. But the worse was yet to come. As soon as Bethan was on the ground the guy stamped on her chest. I couldn't believe what I'd just seen.

As soon as Bethan wheezed and gasped, some force took over in my body. I'm not an angry person. But when Bethan was hurt, all the rage in me built up and I felt myself swing a punch at the guy. My fist connected with his jaw. Now it hurt like hell, but at the time, I didn't care, high on the adrenaline. I went to Bethan, but as soon as I saw the glint of the knife I had no idea what the hell was going to happen next. Thank god he ran away.