The Awakening

"Goodbye"

I felt my body slowly come to an end. I tried to get up, I tried to reach out to the people I love.

Damon...when he died, I couldn't live. I couldn't bear it. When he came back, it felt like I was able to breathe again. Now, he will have to live without me, and I never wanted to leave him. I didn't want to leave anyone. Stefan, Caroline, Bonnie, Jeremy, Matt, Alaric...everyone. All the thoughts I wanted to share with them are still locked in my mind. The goodbyes weren't good enough. I knew one day, this day was going to come. One day I would die and leave the people I love behind. But not now. Not when I finally had a reason to live. Not when my life was finally coming to happiness.

Suddenly, it felt as if someone lifted me...no my soul, out of my body. I started to fall into complete darkness. I could feel nothing but pain and fear. My stomach stirred and all the air remaining in my lungs were sucked out. The knots in my stomach increased as I continued to fall in a never ending pit of darkness. 

Almost at once I felt weightless. Scared, I tried calling out, although I knew there was no one to answer. I was alone. 

A pang of piercing pain shot up my neck.  It stabbed at my mind and I wanted to scream but nothing came out. The world seemed in hyperdrive, everything and nothing zooming past me. There were voices in the distance. I didn't understand. I could hear a somnolent buzz in the background that reminded me of the Murder House Party I went to. My hearing was getting clearer as if I was getting closer. I heard a drone-like chatter and the clinking of glasses. A club. Slowly, I was able to feel my body. Not my soul, my body. Confusion arose in my mind like nightmares awake children. Where am I? 

The buzz grew louder and I was able to feel the weight of my body. It felt as if I was awake. I couldn't move, nor open my eyes. A sudden burst of energy darted through my body.

My eyes  opened and I inhaled sharply. Air filled my lungs, that had dried out completely. Loud music buzzed in her ears as I watched people seductively dancing with one another in a very dark area. I was standing right in the middle. 

Where am I!? 

I swallowed and try to move through the crowd. The people danced freely and absently. It seemed as if they weren't aware of their surroundings. One girl stumbled from person to person until she bumped into me. She looked up, her clothes stained with...blood. She smiled playfully, her eyes not meeting mine. She came closer, so close her nose almost touched mine.

"youshouldntbehere" she whispered, her words tumbling out of her mouth in a rush that I couldn't  distinguish the words. Her eyes sparkled as she stumbled away to a boy and continued to dance like nothing happened. 

An unsettling feeling began to well in me. Something was wrong. I tried, again, to push through the crowd, but where to? I didn't know where I was and where to go. From the corner of my eye, I spotted a red glowing sign: Exit. 

My eyes widen and I quickly pushed the people in front of me. I squeezed past a couple who were dancing so close to one another, they were practically one. Finally, I got off the dance floor. The air was sticky and very warm. It was hard to breathe and I suddenly felt sick. I walked over to the bartender who was busy with some glasses.

"Excuse me? Wh-where am I?" The bartender looked at me, then kindly smiled. 

"The drinks are a bit strong, I agree. You're in The Synim. The best night club in Tenebris. Anyway, would you like another drink?" He held out a glowing blue drink. 

"No thanks." I turned around and took a deep breath. Synim? Tenebris?  

I slowly walked over to the door and tried pushing it open. I managed to do so and turned around just in time to see a group of men walk over to the bartender. They weren't "absent" like the people dancing. They watched every person in the very dark room closely. I turned my head away from them and opened the door to the other side.

I was in a dark alley. The dumpster near the door reeked of...rotten meat. I didn't want to know why. I looked side to side, not understanding what to do next. Tears burned in my eyes, threatening to fall out. I collapsed next to the wall, swollen with emotions. Everything was dark around and slowly  began to blur. On the wall in front of me, there was a picture of a crushed flower. alone. Tears came flooding down, and I just let them out.