Curiosity Killed The Cat

This is a short chapter, I know but it's the first domino in the domino effect. This is just the beginning.

Song of the Chapter: Radioactive by Imagine Dragons

(Elena POV)

"Really! You met Cameron in a warehouse!? That's so..."

"Weird?" Vanessa pointed out.

"Yeaa...but in a good way. I mean, you gotta admit,  this is quite a story." I added.

She chuckled and nodded at the same time.

"Anyway, continue! What happened next?" I queried

Flashback Continued (Vanessa POV)

I stared at his face trying to understand what he was saying.

"Who are you?" I repeated. 

"It doesn't matter. You aren't supposed to be here and I am fully aware of your trackers. I dont want more vampires coming here. So, leave. Now."

I looked up at Cameron, astonished by his command. My vision was still blurry and I couldn't make out his face but I didn't obediently obey.

"Exc-cuse me?" I said, but I needed to hold one of the machines behind me for support. My eyelids were barely open despite the fact that Cameron was no longer flashing the light in my eyes. 

"I don't have time to repeat myself

"I don't have time to repeat myself." He exclaimed through his clenched teeth. He was still keeping his distance from me, though. "Leave."

I was then holding the machine with both hands, no longer looking at him, and feeling close to unconsciousness. 

"Do you hear me?" He questioned in rage.

I was about to answer him but a noise interrupted our conversation. 

I turned to look and I saw- - 

Flashback interrupted (Elena POV)

There was a large bang on the window. Both, my head and Vanessa's turned immediately towards the noise. 

"What was that?" I hissed, not taking my eyes off the window

Vanessa bravely walked to the window and took a gaze down. Something crossed upon her face, only for a second. She looked at me suddenly, like she just realized I was there. 

"Whats wrong?"

"uh.." She then smiled. "Nothing. It was nothing. Probably just the wind. Anyway, its getting dark. You should get some rest" She handed me the clothes that were lying on her bed. 

"um..yea. Okay." I took the clothes and walked out the door, very confused. Why did that look cross her face?

The door shut behind me once I stepped out the room.

An emotion crossed her face. Recognition. Shock. And mostly, fear. 

What would make Vanessa afraid? And why did she lie about it? I wanted to find out

I casually walked to my room and set the clothes on my bed. I checked out my window, although it was a completely different view from Vanessa's room, I understood what dangers might be waiting for me outside. The clouds were hiding the moon, and the wind rustled through the trees and leaves. The storm was coming. And for some reason, I had a feeling it wasn't natural. 

I grabbed a pair of shoes, slipped them on and quietly made my way to the front door. Without the illumination of the candles and lamps, the cabin looked..haunted. Dark and spooky. The shadows of the furniture appeared as the souls of the dead. 

I brought my clammy hands to the door knob. The wooden door knob turned but abruptly stopped. I tried once again to open the door, but it wouldn't. It was locked. 

From the inside?

I looked around for the key

I looked around for the key. But it was nowhere.

Disappointed, I turned to go back to bed when I noticed something black shining on the top sill of the door. I slowly walked back to the door, and stood in an angle that allowed light to completely illuminate  that section. It was a key. 

I then quickly tried reaching for the key, but it was out of reach. I looked around in the dark, and reached out to grab a chair or stool or something. 

My hand came in contact with a stool, and I placed it in front of the door. I didn't want to waste time trying to open the door while the reason Vanessa was afraid might be getting away. 

I got a hold of the key and gingerly set the stool aside. Using the key, I silently unlocked the door. 

I opened the wooden entrance, and left the key lying on the nearby drawer.