Chapter Two: The Legendary Warlock

"Will she be all right, Gaius?" Merlin asked as soon as he walked inside the Court Physician's bedchambers. The girl that he and Arthur had found in the woods was now lying on top of Gaius' worktable, still unconscious.

The old physician did not look up from his book when he answered Merlin. "She will be," he said. "I'm quite surprised there are no deadly wounds on her body, Merlin, except for some scratches and bruises she had acquired after fainting in the forest."

Merlin pulled out one stool from the table and sat down opposite Gaius, thoughtfully looking at the girl. She had bushy brown hair, one that rivalled Gwen's dark one, which was now splayed around her pale face. Her eyebrows were knitted together and the young warlock suspected that she was having a fitful sleep. She seemed perfectly all right to him, though, except, from what Gaius pointed out, the bruises and scratches that were on her body.

Gingerly, he absentmindedly lifted his hand and brushed off some hair that was stuck on her sweaty face. While doing so, he was surprised at how she flinched against his touch. He immediately pulled away, frowning when a soft groan escaped from her lips. He looked at Gaius questioningly.

"I believe she is having a nightmare," Gaius explained, also staring down at the brunette worriedly. He went back to the potion he was making and dropped a few more herbs inside, mixing it using a wooden ladle. He scooped a spoonful and slowly offered it to Merlin. "Tell me what you smell."

Incredulous, he looked from his mentor down to the wooden ladle and took a whiff. "It smells like chamomile to me, Gaius," he said.

Gaius then nodded his head and placed the ladle back into his cauldron. "Ah, I think I'm growing older now," he said, shaking his head. "My senses are starting to fail me. Thank you, Merlin."

The manservant grinned and shrugged. "Anytime you need me," he said, once again looking down at the slumbering brunette. He noted that her pink lips were slightly parted, wisps of breath blowing out from her face. Another soft groan escaped from her lips, one that made her uncomfortably shift on the table. Merlin once again reached for her forehead, but was surprised when she woke up with a gasp.

Her brown eyes stared blearily at both of them. Merlin, with a frown, stared back at Gaius.

"How are you feeling?" the Court Physician asked. The eyes of the stranger settled on him and she blinked, as if unable to hear his question. But then, much to the surprised of the two, the girl bolted upright suddenly and backed away from them, her eyes once again filling with the fear Merlin had seen when they found her in the forest. Her abrupt actions had caused her to sway in nausea. Merlin was fast enough to grab onto her arm and steady her.

"Calm down," Gaius said, placing a comforting hand on her other arm. "We are not going to hurt you."

She shot a look at Merlin and he stared, not knowing what to do. Slowly, the young woman looked back at Gaius and swallowed. "May I ask where I am?" she inquired.

"You are in Camelot now, my dear girl," Gaius said. "Inside the king's castle."

Merlin was confused when the girl looked very relieved upon knowing that information. "W-why am I here?" she asked, looking around. Her eyes widened for a bit as they landed on some of the peculiar things inside Gaius room. Involuntarily, Merlin smiled. He knew that Gaius room was filled with medicinal clutters he knew would soon be confusing for those who would enter this room.

"You were found unconscious in the woods," Merlin offered. "Thankfully, you weren't injured when we were out hunting. We, um, brought you here so that Gaius can look at you."