Chapter Forty-Eight: Farewell

She woke up and it was his name that first came out from her mouth. The memory of last night came rushing back to her and Hermione fervently wished that Merlin was not mad at her anymore. She couldn't bear remembering the look on his face when she revealed who she truly was and her intentions of being in Camelot.

But then, instead of Merlin strolling into her room, it was Queen Guinevere who entered. The said royal gave her a small, tearful smile, obvious that she had been crying just a while ago. Her eyes were puffy and red, and there were obvious tear stains on her cheeks.

"You're finally awake," her friend said, sauntering closer to her bed. "How are you feeling, Hermione?"

The brunette smiled. "I feel fine," she softly said, lying through her teeth. She'd rather not cause Gwen any more distress by stating the truth. "What are you doing here?"

"Let me take care of you, too," Gwen said with a small smile. From beside Hermione, there was a small basinful of water. The queen grabbed a small cloth, dipped it into the cool water, and wrung the excess water. She then proceeded to wipe some of the sweat on Hermione's face.

"Let me do it, your highness - "

Gwen expelled a soft sigh, frowning slightly at Hermione. "I came here as a friend," she interjected, gently pushing Hermione's hands away. "Please, Hermione. I've been worrying constantly about you. For now, can we both forget that a title is separating us?"

"I'm sorry, Gwen," Hermione murmured under her breath.

The disgruntled queen sighed and occupied the usual chair where Merlin sat on. "What's happening to you, Hermione?" Guinevere then asked, fearfully looking at her friend. "We've asked numerous physicians to give you a consultation, but all of them could not pinpoint the cause of your illness."

Hermione only wordlessly placed a hand on top of Gwen's. That simple action of hers brought tears in the queen's eyes. "It is distressing to see you weakened everyday, Hermione," she tearfully said, leaning closer to her friend to draw her into a hug. "M-Merlin... he doesn't sleep properly anymore. He neither eats properly, too. I do not like seeing him because I always think your case is hopeless whenever he looks at me."

"I'm sorry, Gwen," was all she could said once again, tiredly closing her eyes and heavily leaning against her friend. "It wasn't my intention to cause you some distress."

To her surprise, the queen laughed under her breath and pulled away from Hermione. "I promised Merlin I won't breakdown today," she said, daintily wiping away her tears. "Between the two of us, it is I who must be strong."

Hermione smiled gratefully at her friend. "You are strong, Guinevere," she said. "Never doubt that."

Queen Guinevere nodded her head and brushed away the remaining tears in her eyes. "You must rest again," she said. "Merlin perfectly told me that if you insisted to go out of bed, I refuse. God knows how scary he was when he gave that reminder."

"Where is he?" the brunette asked. "Where is Merlin?"

"He told me he must do something of importance," she answered. "He said that if you woke up and sought for him, he promised he'd come back to you immediately."

Hermione worriedly stared at her friend and frowned. It seemed like he was not mad at her anymore. 'But what is he doing?' she asked, hating the feeling of foreboding that blossomed in her heart. She just fervently wished that wherever he was, he was not putting himself into danger.

__________

He arrived in the Lake of Avalon, and as what he had predicted, it was empty and normal. The Lady of the Lake, who up until now Merlin had no idea who was, was nowhere to be seen.