Chapter Thirty-Two: Lamia

His conversation with Lord Agravaine was halted when the doors of the Throne Room opened. Both of them looked at the intruder, surprised to see Sir Elyan strolling inside. King Arthur could see the sense of urgency in Gwen's brother's pace; thus, he sat up straighter on his throne and gave his full attention to his knight.

"Is something the matter, Sir Elyan?" he politely asked.

"Sire," Elyan said, "there had been a report from the Patrolling Knights that there is a mysterious illness in Camelot which affected the menfolk of our kingdom."

Alarmed, Arthur was brought to his feet. "A mysterious illness?" he inquired, knitting his eyebrows. He turned to Lord Agravaine, who gave him a confused look. "And you say it only affects the men of Camelot."

"Yes," the knight answered, followed by a nod of confirmation. "According to one Patrolling Knight, an estimate of ten had already fallen ill to this said disease."

"It feels like the vampire fiasco all over again," the king murmured, plopping down on his throne in exhaustion. "Only this time, the targets are the men of my kingdom."

Arthur expelled a soft sigh and turned to Elyan once again. "Inform Gaius and tell him to investigate immediately," he ordered. "I will be asking for a report tomorrow."

Sir Elyan respectfully bowed his head to his king, before turning around and fleeing the Throne Room.

"Strange things had been happening to Camelot these past few days," Lord Agravaine mused aloud, unable to keep the smile from growing on his face.

Arthur, on the other hand, darkly scowled.

He couldn't agree more with his uncle.

__________

"Don't you think it's a little suspicious?" Hermione asked as she, Merlin, and Gaius walked out of the castle and into the village. "I mean, the illness this time attacks the menfolk of Camelot. It's like the same pattern with Gregory in Ealdor, but this time, all the affected are men."

Gaius deeply frowned at her statement while Merlin expelled a soft sigh.

"Perhaps we're looking at a female monster this time," Merlin suggested, casually reaching for Hermione's hand. When Gaius gave him an eyebrow raise, he sheepishly shrugged. "Well, that can help our search for the origin of the disease, don't you think?"

Hermione softly chuckled and pulled him close, shaking her head when Merlin frowned at her.

"This shouldn't be taken lightly, you two," the Court Physician reprimanded, lightly glaring at the couple. Hermione's chuckles died down and slightly blushed, while Merlin's frown turned into a straight line. "Men are getting sick and we cannot solve this if you two are making a joke out of it."

"Sorry, Gaius," the brunette quickly replied, humbled by his short sermon.

The three then finally arrived in the village. The ten victims of the said illness were all placed inside a makeshift hospital. People seemed to avoid the place, their eyes fearful and cautious, afraid that they, too, would get inflicted by the mysterious disease.

Upon entering inside, Hermione's eyes instantly widened. Ten men, all pale and sweating and moaning in pain, were lying down on the small cots provided by some of the most generous people in Camelot.

"Gaius."

The Court Physician turned around and kindly smiled at the person who called his name. A woman in her mid-forties, dressed in a simple peasant garb, nodded her head in greeting. Her green eyes were slightly squinted with worry as they darted constantly on the men inside the room.