Chapter Thirty-Seven: Helios & Morgana

Oh, how Guinevere had fallen.

Here she was, in a small village somewhere at the east of Camelot, shovelling hay that would be fed for the pigs. She was hired as a caretaker of pigs of an old, nice couple. No one wanted to take her in, seeing that they were too poor to even hire a simple servant. But the nice couple thought it was convenient to let her take care of their pigs. Their old age and lack of descendants hindered them to do so themselves.

Gwen was contented with how she was working. She received a small amount of salary, which was enough for her to feed her for the whole day. But still, somehow, she missed working back in the castle. This small village was a dreary one as opposed to the lively manner of all the people back in Camelot. Everybody here seemed to think that they had no business over their neighbour's problems. The camaraderie that the people in Camelot shared was absent in this village.

Guinevere missed her old home and friends. Waking up in a small place provided by the old couple always made her wish that Hermione would be there, too, moving from one corner to another to fix a scrumptious breakfast for the two of them. She absolutely missed Merlin and Gaius, too.

But most of all... Gwen expelled a soft sigh and examined the engagement ring now hanging as a pendant around her neck. It would be dangerous if the people here were able to recognize the House of Pendragon sigil on her ring. They would be bound to start gossiping behind her back and she did not want to give any more problems to Arthur now that she was on exile.

Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted when the sound of hooves filled the silent dawn. Out of instincts, Gwen immediately hid behind one of the small sheds in the village and peered outside. Cloaked men on horses, whom she recognized as the Southrons, came in a surprise to look for recruits. Gwen, with a sinking heart, knew that this village was doomed – there were no available young and healthy men to serve Helios, the warlord of the Southrons.

Gwen made a mad dash out of her hiding place and was about the leave this place, but a Southron blocked her path. He jumped off from his horse and knocked her down. With a  soft scream of terror, Gwen landed on her side and she glared darkly at the attacker, albeit a little shakily.

The Southron pulled out a sword and was about to kill her, but a hand suddenly halted the movements of the Southron.

Gwen found herself staring at Helios, himself, a curious look on his face as he stared down at her.

"Wait," Helios ordered, kneeling down on the floor and holding Gwen's chin. He forced her to show her entire face and after a moment of examination, he stated, "Spare her." His eyes never left her face and she almost recoiled from his touch, recognizing the look of desire pooling in his dark orbs. "There's still some pleasure to be gained."

Helios held her shoulders and pulled her up. He directed her to his own horse and helped her up. Helpless, Gwen allowed him to direct her and as she now sat uncomfortably in front of the warlord, she glanced a forlorn look at the small village she temporarily called home.

Strangely, she'd rather be in the dreary, small village than trapped in the arms of a dangerous man.

__________

"What?!" Morgana snapped, rounding around to glare darkly at Agravaine.

The lord, frightened by Morgana's fury, took a step back and silently swallowed. He knew reporting to Morgana his, yet again, failure, would prompt her to be disappointed with him. Agravained hired a boy to steal the siege plan from the siege tunnels in the vaults of Camelot. But then, the boy, overwhelmed by his righteousness and loyalty to his blasted nephew, chose not to steal it in the end.