Chapter Forty-Six: Sir Gwaine and the Green Knight

A soft hiss of pain filled the bedchamber and Hermione couldn't help but chuckle. Queen Guinevere shot her a slight glare, scowling as she nursed the finger she had pricked with a needle.

"I know it is amusing," Gwen said, shaking her head, "but there's no need to laugh at me, Hermione."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," the brunette said, unable to suppress another grin. "It's just that you and embroidery." An unwitting giggle escaped from her lips and her smile widened. Even before Gwen was queen, Hermione had discovered long before that sewing was one of her weak points. For her to be forced to learn embroidery since noble ladies do so was pure and absolute torture for her friend. Somehow, she was torn between sympathy and amusement.

Hermione then turned back to the laundry basket and started to collect Gwen's clothes.

Today was a fine day, and Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table were out hunting in the Darkling Woods once again. Merlin, of course, had no choice but to tag along. Hermione thought it was a good day to spend some time with her friend and queen, seeing that her workload as a Court Physician had finally decreased. Hence, she opted to do some random chores inside the King and Queen's bedroom.

"You know, you shouldn't do all these chores," Gwen said, frowning slightly at her friend. "You're a Court Physician, Hermione. Besides, I can do them myself. You just leave them alone and I'm sure to arrange them for my maidservant."

Hermione sighed and rolled her eyes. "Imagine the horror the King would have if he discovered his wife is doing duties that are beneath hers," she said with a cheeky grin. Gwen blushed and her frown deepened.

"Just because I'm Queen doesn't mean I'm not Gwen anymore," Gwen claimed for the umpteenth time. Hermione constantly heard those words from her friend and although they were quite true, one cannot help but treat her differently, seeing that she was a royal now and specifically the Queen of a vast kingdom.

"Oh, whatever you say," Hermione said. "Just don't bother yourself with me and - " Her words were cut off with a loud, pained gasp. Hermione's hand instantly shot up to her heart and she desperately clutched it as she bent over in sheer pain. The laundry basket that she was holding a while ago was now a messy heap on the floor.

Gwen, surprised by Hermione's sudden actions, was brought to her feet. She quickly rushed towards her obviously pained friend, but the brunette lifted her right arm to stop her.

"What's happening?" the queen asked, panicked. "What's the matter, Hermione?"

"Just give me" – a soft gasp escaped from her mouth – "a few minutes."

While Gwen restlessly waited, Hermione massaged her aching chest. It was happening again and she knew all she needed was to wait. After the first episode of this and fainting in the Darkling Woods, it happened thrice the following days. This was the fourth time that had happened and somehow, Hermione was used to it. She knew that soon, the pain would subside, replacing a dull and numb feeling in her chest.

Finally, the pain had stopped and she straightened up. There were beads of sweat on her forehead and gasps of breath tore from her mouth. Gwen by then had worriedly clutched Hermione's right arm and peered curiously at her.

"Are you all right?" the Queen murmured, the obvious worry heard in the tone of her voice.

A weak chuckle escaped from Hermione's mouth. "I'm fine," Hermione said. "Just a little tired."

"What happened?" Gwen asked, absentmindedly brushing off some perspiration from the brunette's forehead.

"I was just a little tired," the brunette reiterated, walking slowly towards Gwen's dresser to heavily lean against it. One thing she hated about that certain event was the fact that she always felt inexplicably drained after. "I just need to rest for a bit. It's always the best solution."