Chapter Thirteen: The Arrival of Strength

"Gaius, am I doing it right?"

Hermione gestured at the chopping board. There were strips of rose petals on the board, an ingredient that she would need for a potion that they were currently brewing.

The Court Physician straightened his spectacles and peered at Hermione's work. Thoughtfully, he grabbed a few of the strips in his hand and inspected it. "Hmm..." he started, returning them back on the board. "This will do but..."

"... But the instructions said equally sliced," she muttered in frustration. "I know, I know."

Gaius stared at her in amusement while she placed the chopping board back on t worktable. She grabbed the knife she had been using and started to once again slice the rose petals into equal pieces.

Just then, the door burst open and in came Arthur and Merlin, carrying a bloodied and unconscious man in their arms. Gaius stood up in surprise and immediately ushered the injured inside Merlin's room. Arthur dragged him inside and soon disappeared inside Merlin's room, together with Gaius.

Merlin plopped down on a nearby stool, very exhausted. At the same time, Arthur once again strolled outside Merlin's room and wiped some sweat off his brow.

"Hermione," Gaius said, peeking behind Arthur. "If you would be so kind to tend on Arthur and Merlin's wounds. This gentleman's injury seemed deeper than what I've initially suspected."

The brunette nodded and Gaius closed the door behind him. Arthur descended the steps from Merlin's room while rolling his arm. Hermione hastily walked towards the Prince, a medicine kit in her hands, but Arthur stopped her with a raise of hand.

"I'm not really injured, Hermione," Arthur said. He jutted a finger towards Merlin and continued, "Go tend on that idiot's wounds instead. I think he is still quite shaken from the brawl."

The Prince smirked and strode away. As soon as he disappeared from the room, Hermione was amused to observe that Merlin had to restrain himself from bursting in anger.

Hermione sighed and walked near him, settling the medicine kit on top of a table. "What happened?" she asked, grabbing Merlin's chin and lifting it for her to inspect some of his wounds. Her thumb mindlessly travelled to his bloodied lip and gingerly wiped away some of the blood.

She almost rolled her eyes when he grew hot under her touch.

"Um..." he started, watching her as she grabbed a clean cloth and wiped his wounds clean. "Arthur and I somehow joined a tavern brawl." Upon seeing Hermione's surprise, he softly chuckled. "It was quite funny, if you ask me. I predicted it was a bad idea, and it actually came true."

"What are you doing in a local tavern?" she asked, shaking her head. "I mean, Prince Arthur is in a local tavern."

"Arthur wanted a tankard of mead after hunting," he explained, slightly flinching when she pressed none-too-gently on one of his wounds. Hermione hastily apologized before continuing. "He insisted, even though I pointed out it might be dangerous. And well... some resident bully came inside and demanded money from the tavern owner."

Hermione frowned, already knowing what happened next.

"And, let's just say that Arthur acted like he usually does, being all noble and chivalrous," Merlin said, rolling his eyes. "It was a good thing that Gwaine, the injured man inside my room, helped us and saved the Prince's life."

The brunette expelled a disbelieving chuckle before plopping down beside Merlin, her work already done. "I thought he was just petty before," she claimed. "Now I am convinced that he is very brave, albeit very reckless."