Chapter Forty-Seven: Terrible Secret

Hermione was so tired. Awfully tired.

If she were given a choice, she'd rather sleep all day long on her soft, comfortable bed in her bedchambers in Camelot. Annoying twittering outside had hindered her to do so, though, and there was sunlight on her face. Thus, begrudgingly, she opened her bleary eyes and blinked around.

She was quite surprised to see Merlin in her room. He was seated on a chair beside her bed, with his head buried into his arms, seemingly sleeping deeply. His mouth was slightly agape as soft snores tore from his mouth.

It was surprising if he spent the night in her room. After all, people were quite strict with the fact about proper decorum and decency in this time period. If people were to discover that her boyfriend slept inside her room for the night, gossips were bound to run around like wildfire. She also thought, with a little grimace, that it was a little unfair that fingers would mostly be pointed at her.

Nevertheless, she was happy he was the first person she saw in the morning. She already predicted that a headache was to form and for her to see Merlin already comforted her.

"Merlin," she murmured, running a gentle hand through his hair. The young warlock stirred and even leaned against her touch, prompting Hermione to smile fondly down at him. "Come now, warlock, it's time to wake up."

At the sound of her voice, he jolted awake. All his sleep had dissipated away as he regarded Hermione with a mixture of curiosity, relief, and worry. Hermione couldn't resist smiling at his look right now; his clothes were rumpled due to his position while sleeping and his hair was ridiculously sticking everywhere.

He proceeded to fuss over her. He checked her pulse, her eyes, even her breathing, and by the time he was done, Hermione was staring at him in amusement.

"What happened?" she asked, as Merlin lowered himself back on his chair. "I feel awfully tired," she added as an afterthought.

"You fainted last night," Merlin said with a deep frown. "Again."

Her smile slightly faltered at the memory. 'It happened again,' she thought, trying her best not to show her worry. Merlin looked like he was enough to be frazzled for the two of them. For her to show that even she was troubled would only worry him. "Well, perhaps I've been working quite late these past few weeks already, Merlin," she assured him with a smile.

Merlin shook his head and interlaced his fingers with hers. "Gwen told me you've been having chest pains even prior to your fainting episode," he said.

'Blast,' she thought, expelling a soft sigh. Of course, she knew the Queen meant well, but she distinctively told her not to tell Merlin. "I'm just a little tired, warlock," she said, slightly teasing. It didn't surprise her that Merlin only looked at her reproachfully.

"I know you've been a Court Physician for almost three months now, Hermione, and I could see that the job is quite taxing, albeit very fulfilling for you," Merlin started, squeezing her hand. "But you've been swooning frequently and I can't turn a blind eye about it. Even Gaius, who was very old and still working mind you, seemed healthier than you are!" He worriedly played with her fingers, his frown deepening. "Maybe, it is time if I ask Arthur to hire another physician to give you a complete check-up."

Hermione adamantly shook her head, her curls flying everywhere. "That won't be necessary," she said, ignoring Merlin's scowl. "The King has other important matters at hand to concern himself with me."

"If the Court Physician is becoming ill, then I believe this matter greatly concerns him," Merlin interjected.

She knew anything she would say in defense of herself would all be received sourly by Merlin. Hence, to appease him, she drew him into a gentle hug and lightly kissed his head. "All right, if you're just going to be such a worrywart over this matter, maybe it's best if I research about it in the Royal Library," she said.