Chapter Twenty-Four: Agravaine de Bois

Agravaine de Bois was known by many as the brother of the late Queen Ygraine of Camelot and Lord Tristan de Bois.

After the deaths of his two siblings, Lord Agravaine loathed everything about Camelot. He had distanced himself from the royal family, blaming everything to Uther Pendragon because of their deaths. His servants knew that the kingdom should never be uttered whenever he was in their presence; else, a punishment of execution would immediately be bestowed.

He was once a kind, amiable lord. Those who had worked for his family could testify to that. But after the deaths of the two most important people in his lives, his heart had succumbed to bitterness and deep loathing that Uther had no idea of.

When the news of Uther's death reached his manor, he immediately threw a huge celebration.

"For the death of the murderer," he announced to his guests, a maniacal glint in his eyes as he watched them raise their glasses for a hesitant toast.

Imagine his surprise when one day, a letter from Arthur Pendragon, new King of Camelot, was sent to his kingdom. Uther's son had invited him to travel to Camelot and stay by his side.

"... As I continually grieve for the death of my father, the reality of a great responsibility settled heavily in my heart. Thus, my dear uncle, please stay by my side and guide me towards a brighter future for Camelot and my people."

That night, an enraged Agravaine wreaked havoc in his bedroom and no one, not even his trusted manservant, could stop him from his rage. He could not believe that Arthur Pendragon, Uther's spawn of evil and malicious intent, was asking him for help. Arthur was the sole reminder of the pain and bitterness that the death of his sister and brother had done to him. He'd be damned if he helped the son of the murderer.

The following night, a peculiar letter arrived in his balcony. It was brought by a raven, harbinger of evil and revenge, and as his eyes scanned the letter, Agravaine de Bois found himself drawn. The author spoke of a deep passion and vengeance, a promise to bring the downfall of the current King of Camelot. Therefore, despite the warnings from those who still cared for him, he now found himself deep into the woods, awaiting the arrival of the person who promised to give him the opportunity to avenge the death of his loved ones.

"Lord Agravaine."

He pulled out his sword in alarm and turned around, only to be enchanted by the beauty standing right in front of him.

Her hair was as black as ebony, her skin as white as alabaster. Her grey eyes were tumultuous with a myriad of emotions and there was an underlying darkness in her stare, one that spoke of grief and betrayal that Agravaine had been acquainted with for years already.

"Who are you?" he demanded, although the alarm was gone, replaced with unadulterated wonder.

"Morgana Pendragon," she greeted with a smirk, mockingly bowing down to him. "The late King Uther's ward."

Upon the mention of the King's name, Agravaine saw red. The beauty right in front of him was instantly marred by his anger for the deceased, instantly running towards her with an intent of hurting her. But then, to his surprise, his sword flew out from his grasp and into her awaiting hands.

"I was right in asking for your presence," she calmly said, her smirk widening. "Worry not, my dear lord. We have the same goal and that is to bring the downfall of Arthur Pendragon."

"What do you want?" he snarled once again, warily staring at his beloved sword.

Morgana raised an eyebrow and casually swung his sword. "It came to my knowledge that your nephew is asking for your assistance in reigning over Camelot," she said.