Chapter Twenty-Six: The Sacrifice

"Hermione!" he desperately cried, his knuckles ramming loudly against the door of her current quarters. Due to the sudden attacks in Camelot by the Dorochas, Arthur had prepared a room in the castle where Hermione and Gwen could rest.

Merlin silently cursed, knowing that he should have been more careful with his words. His heart uncomfortable twitched, remembering the horrified tears that streamed down from the brunette's eyes. He always hated it when she cried; at first, he never realized as to why there was this odd itch inside him that did not go away whenever tears fell down from her eyes, but now that he knew that he was harbouring genuine feelings for Hermione, the discomfort grew. 

"Hermione, please," he softly beseeched. He desperately wanted to use his magic, but decided against it in the end. He had scared her off already with the fact that he was going to sacrifice himself in place of Arthur. Performing magic might drive her away from him further.

He knew his decision was already made; what he told Gaius was right after all. He was destined to protect Arthur, ward him off from any harm that came his way. Without a second thought, he knew that the next task he must do was to die in his place. Camelot was still mourning for the death of their late King. It would not be good for the kingdom to have another sudden death of their new King.

To his immense relief, the door creaked open. Gwen, with tears in her eyes, gravely shook her head and quickly stepped outside. Merlin was able to take a brief peek inside the room, though, and his heart jumped into his throat when he spied Hermione tucked against the corner of her bed, knees drawn to her chest, and sobs racking her body.

"Gwen..."

"She said she doesn't want to see you now, Merlin," the distressed maidservant softly whispered. "I'm sorry."

His eyes gradually softened, knowing that Gwen thought it would be Arthur who would sacrifice himself tomorrow in the Isle of the Blessed. He then remembered the vision that he had seen back in the Crystal Cave, with Guinevere being crowned as Queen and ruling alongside Arthur. Now that he knew of their fate, his determination strengthened.

"Please," he whispered imploringly, shooting a longing look at the wooden door that was separating him from the girl who suddenly became an important person in his life. That odd clenching, one he could claim as painful, once again started in his heart. The thought that he would not be able to see her beautiful face anymore scared him to bits and pieces.

Before he sacrificed himself, he wanted to at least see her one last time.

A quick glance at Gwen prompted him to sigh in defeat. His shoulders slumped and he rested his forehead against the wooden door. He closed his eyes and imagined that it was Hermione's forehead he was leaning against with. The thought made him sadly smile.

"Always remember, Hermione of Hogwarts," he murmured to the door. "That you're a blasted force to be reckoned with." 

He waited for a few minutes before pulling himself away from the door. He opened his eyes and was disappointed that the door still had not opened for him.

Grimacing, he turned to Guinevere, whose tears had now increased.

"Gwen, I..." He paused, hesitated, and sighed. He gave her a comforting squeeze on her arm before turning away and striding back to Gaius' chambers.

"Merlin?"

He paused and turned around. "What is it, Gwen?" he asked.

"Be safe," she replied back.

He merely smiled, knowing that in the end he would do the opposite from her warning. Merlin opted to nod his head instead and resumed his journey, the results of tomorrow's journey towards the Isle of the Blessed lying heavily in his heart.