Chapter Twenty-Three: King Arthur of Camelot

"Forþ fleoge!" Hermione loudly cried, the immortal knight quickly blasted away from her. She blindly ran towards him, dodging swords and ducking blows. With a growl, she roughly stepped on the hand of the knight she had blasted off, grabbed for his fallen sword, and defended herself just in time against another sword almost slashed her way.

'Come on, Merlin. What's taking you so long?' she demanded silently while kicking an immortal knight away.

As what Arthur had declared, he and the others all travelled back to Camelot, intent of overthrowing Morgana so that Arthur could claim his rightful place in the throne. Although there was obvious doubt from the group, especially the Knights of the Round Table, they still all agreed to return back to their kingdom and die trying, even if there was a huge possibility it would be in vain.

From her place, she could see some of the knights. Gwen and Gaius already disappeared inside the citadel, dragging injured persons in their wake in order to treat them. Hermione opted to stay behind, adrenaline pumping loudly in her ears, so that she could fight and even test the magic that she possessed.

Arthur was the most determined of all, lashing his sword hither thither with a promise of saving his kingdom. His knights never failed him, constantly flanking his side and defending their Prince. Although their swords proved to be useless against the immortal army, Hermione was still able to observe that Arthur and his knights were successful in distracting them. Fewer civilians were hurt and more innocent people were hid.

Inside the castle, she knew that Merlin and Lancelot were seeking for the Cup of Life. She was not entirely sure as to why it was Lancelot that Merlin had asked to accompany him, but she let him nonetheless.

Since Morgana was currently reigning all over Camelot, more of her immortal knights lurked inside the castle, ready to fight those who wished to defeat the queen. Hermione feared that Merlin and Lancelot would not be able to achieve their goal and prayed to whomever that they would be safe.

What caught her attention more was the sword that Merlin brought with him back to Camelot. Nobody really inquired him where he got the sword, but Hermione, with throat drying and eyes widening, knew the importance of the sword in his hands.

She had read about Excalibur for her remaining stay in Grimmauld Place and she swore she was not mistaken. She had seen multiple pictures of the legendary sword and most of them resembled each other. Seeing it now tightly clutched in Merlin's hands made her believe that it was actually true.

When she ducked and harshly kicked her offender's shin, Hermione momentarily took a deep breath and focused her mind. Yes, Excalibur was currently inside the castle but there was a battle going on in Camelot. She willed her mind to forget about her quest and the legendary sword.

For now, she fought.

__________

"LANCELOT!"

Alarmed by the voice, Sir Lancelot ducked out of instincts and was able to dodge an unsuspecting blow thrown his way.

Scowling darkly, Merlin pierced the heart of the immortal knight using the magical sword in his hands. The enemy grew horrified after feeling the pain that he was not supposed to feel anymore, before bursting into ashes and disappearing into thin air.

"How did you do that?" Lancelot asked, awe in his voice. He stared incredulously at Merlin's sword and raised back his questioning eyes to Merlin.

"No time to explain," Merlin said with start, now running towards the Council Chamber of Doom where the Cup of Life lies.

As promised by Kilgharrah, the legendary sword forged by his breath was able to kill the immortal knights. There was a humongous relief in his chest every time he did and the determination to spill the blood of the knights inside the Cup of Life strengthened. He was hopeless at first, but with his magnificent sword in his hands, he knew he could finally help Arthur claim back his rightful place in Camelot.