Chapter Five: Of Love Potions and Golden Eyes

They said there was a peace conference, that was why the Kings of the Five Kingdoms arrived in Camelot. Hermione mused it must be of extreme importance because prior to their arrival, Uther had called for all of the servants, council members, and other occupants in the castle and briefed them about what was to happen. There was a tone of warning in his voice when he told him that this conference must go on without any hindrances so that the peace in Camelot would be prolonged.

All of them were lined outside the castle, waiting for the arrival of the important members of the Five Kingdoms. Gwen was standing beside her and she could feel the nervousness in the maidservant. Smiling, she touched Gwen's arm to calm her down. The maidservant, with trepidation in her eyes, looked back at her and tried her very best to crack a small. All she was able to show was strange grimace.

The first two Kings of the Five Kingdoms had already arrived and King Uther warmly greeted them. He then gestured inside and the appointed servants immediately rushed towards the guests to bring them inside. Another group of horses came by, with the King, which she heard from one of the servants as King Alined, stopped and dismounted from his sword. A fidgety manservant immediately came to his aid and Hermione watched in dismay as he was badly mistreated.

"Alined," Uther greeted, outstretching his hand as a warm greeting. "You are most welcome for this momentous occasion."

"Momentous as I hope so," the king greeted, grasping the offered hand.

Uther then gestured the servants to lead them inside, and they immediately followed.

The following day, they were once again aligned in front of the castle. This time, the kingdom led by their ruler named King Olaf was to arrive. Gwen seemed extra fidgety today, which had further baffled Hermione.

"Oh dear God, here she comes," Guinevere silently whispered to herself.

Blinking, she looked at her in confusion. "Who?" she asked.

"Lady Vivian," the maidservant said, looking at a particular direction in the group. King Uther had now warmly greeted King Olaf. Standing beside the guest king was a beautiful girl, whose chin was lifted in dignity, as if regarding those around her as lowly. "She is a daughter of King Olaf and..." She paused, pursed her lips and sighed. "She's quite difficult to handle."

"Servant girl," Uther suddenly called, his eyes directed at Gwen. "Show Lady Vivian her quarters."

Gwen, followed by Hermione, immediately followed and descended the stone stairs. Lady Vivian regarded them coolly and Hermione frowned, having an inkling that perhaps 'difficult' was an understatement.

__________

Hermione blew a bothering strand of her hair out of her face as she plopped down on one of the stools outside the kitchens. Lady Vivian apparently had 'night cravings' and she had ordered Hermione to run along to the kitchens and prepare some desserts she could munch on.

"But, my lady, it is past nine," Hermione politely reasoned out.

King Olaf's daughter gave her a withering look, which prompted her to slowly walk out of her room, voicing out her promise to get them as soon as possible.

Coaxing the head cook to make them was the hardest part. She had always been this irritable woman who had this seemingly amazing power of detecting those who had touched her kitchens without any permission. Seeing that it was already their bedtime, Hermione had received an ear-splitting lecture for almost half an hour.

"Lady Vivian orders for them to be made," Hermione finally said with a huff, lifting her chin in defiance. "Failure to follow will be considered as a 'hindrance' to the peace offerings and well, we both know how King Uther would feel about this, yes?"