Chapter Nineteen: The Death of Uther Pendragon

A sudden hush resounded in the Castle of Fyrien when Morgause lifted the glinting Cup of Life.

Beside her stood King Cenred, his eyes staring up at the chalice with blatant awe and wonder. In front of them lined his soldiers, all silently staring and waiting for instructions to be given.

"Are you quite sure about its power, Morgause?" Cenred asked.

The beautiful High Priestess turned her head to look at the King, a small smile of amusement on her face. "Do you doubt me now, Cenred?" she asked, now carefully placing the Cup of Life on a pillar.

"Of course not," he reverently said, grasping Morgause's free hand and bringing it to his lips. He bestowed the faintest of kisses on her knuckles, prompting the sorceress to smirk. "You know that I believe in you more than anyone else in this world."

She merely nodded and pulled back her hand, much to the King's disgruntlement. He had been wooing her for years, trying to please her by doing what she had earnestly wanted. He was still in disbelief and frustration that she carelessly brushed off his affections when it was clear that he wanted to be by her side and continue planning for her revenge against King Uther of Camelot.

Cenred then turned back to his men and took a deep breath, before saying, "My men, our time is at hand. No sword will kill you, no spear will pierce you." He took a step forward, feeling Morgause's smirk directed his way. "Tonight, we march to Camelot with your greatest weapon of all. Not even the noblest, bravest Knights of Camelot will be able to defeat you."

He then gestured at the Cup of Life, his eyes not leaving his soldiers. "A drop of your blood, and you will be invincible," he continued, his voice unwavering and strong. "A drop of your blood, and Camelot will fall. A drop of your blood, and you, my men, will be immortals."

The King then stepped back and allowed Morgause to usher his soldiers to come closer to the chalice. It took a few hours until all of his men had spared a drop of their blood inside the chalice. One look from Morgause, though, and he knew that the wait was very much worth it.

The High Priestess of the Old Religion then clutched the chalice in her hands and lifted it up. And then, lifting her eyes as if in prayer, she chanted, "Gegadre anne here fram þisse bune ond heora blod. Swa þæt hie ne abygð ond ne swilteaþ naht, ac leofaaþ a on ecnesse [1]."

Momentarily, the Cup of Life glowed before settling back down the chalice on the pillar. And then, with a satisfied look on her face, Morgause turned to Cenred. "Ready your knights, my lord," she started. "We have a long journey ahead of us."

Cenred met Morgause's eyes and smirked, already tasting the sweetness of victory in the air.

__________

Gaius leaned down to the ill king with a sigh, already knowing what he would be concluding even before he checked the king's state.

"Gaius?"

The Court Physician turned around and met the tumultuous eyes of Prince Arthur. Beside him was a silently crying Morgana, her grey eyes already filled with tears of grief. Gaius almost frowned at the sight, Merlin's words of warning about the said lady echoing at the back of his head.

He then slightly shook his head and sighed yet again. "I apologize, but my conclusion is still the same," he said grimly. Arthur pursed his lips into a straight line and he looked away from Gaius' piercing eyes, emotions already conflicting on his face.

"H-have you tried giving him some of your potions?" Morgana softly offered. Once again, his eyes landed on the lady's form and he briefly wondered if Merlin's words were actually true.