Chapter Forty-Two: A Funeral and a Wedding

Hermione blinked her eyes, gazing forlornly outside. She was standing on the Gryffin Staircase while on her way to the late Court Physician's bedchamber. Outside, King Arthur and his knights were lined up in the town square, Gaius' dead body lying peacefully on what appeared to be a small mat.

Today was his funeral and as the best Court Physician Camelot ever had, it was right for Gaius to receive a proper burial. He was to be brought to the Lake of Avalon while Arthur and Geoffrey of Monmouth were to do the usual ritual for the dead.

There was only one person missing and it was Hermione's task to bring him. Merlin had decided to stay in his room while Arthur started ordering some of his knights to repair the destroyed, scour the civilians, and imprison or kill the remaining Southrons. Arthur was kind enough to know that Merlin needed time, and had not demanded for his manservant's presence until Gaius' funeral.

Hermione hadn't seen Merlin either, and during the days of his absence, her mind constantly went to him. Gwen was there to comfort her; after all, Gaius had been her beloved mentor, too. Now that he was gone, the brunette felt empty. She had shed tears of grief for him at night, while Gwen constantly consoled her. At days, she would distract herself by helping in rebuildingm Camelot.

Sighing, she rubbed her tired eyes and resumed her walk towards Gaius' bedchamber. The ambiance of the whole kingdom was gloomy and sad. Everybody, even the littlest of children, was mourning for the death of the Court Physician of Camelot.

For Hermione, this was the first most painful thing that had ever happened to her in Camelot. Lancelot's death was sad, yes, but she never really knew the knight as much as the others did. Gaius was different; he had been a comforting presence while she was stuck in this strange, new period. He had constantly given her pieces of advice, taught her new potion lessons, and was just... there.

She could feel the tears once again forming at the corner of her eyes and she blinked them back. She was positively sure that Merlin would be too distraught today and he needed someone strong enough, or at least stronger than him, to hold him. If there was anybody in the whole kingdom that mourned the most for Gaius' death, it would be Merlin.

Finally, she arrived and she stopped right in front of the door before entering. Hermione took a deep breath, momentarily closed her eyes, and then slowly opened the door.

Merlin was already sitting on one of the stools while gazing unfocusedly outside one of the windows. His face was paler than usual, and the usual playful spark in his blue eyes was gone. He heard Hermione's entrance, though, for he turned around and looked at her. He quirked up a small smile, acknowledging her presence.

"Hey," he whispered.

A small lump formed in her throat as she realized she had not seen him for a while. Seeing him now brought great sorrow in her heart and once again, she desperately tried to push away her tears.

"Hi," she softly whispered back in reply.

Slowly, she sauntered closer to him and stood beside him. Merlin had returned back to gazing outside the window and gingerly, Hermione bent down to grab one of his hands. Holding him made her realize that he was slightly trembling with an unspoken grief.

"It's Gaius' funeral today," she slowly said as a reminder.

Merlin momentarily closed his eyes, as if pained, before opening them once again. "I know," he simply said. "Arthur had gone here yesterday to tell me."

Hermione placed her other hand at the back of his neck. "They're all waiting for you, love," she added. She bent down to give him a gentle kiss on his forehead. To her slight surprise, Merlin lifted his other arm and tightly wrapped it around her shoulders, pulling her close as if she was the last person that mattered to him the most.