Chapter Forty: King Arthur and the Legendary Sword

Night had fallen, and Hermione found herself with nothing to do. She was currently seated on one of the fallen logs in the Forest of Essetir, watching everybody as they moved around with a task at hand.

King Arthur was surprisingly polishing his chainmail and sword. Gwen was absentmindedly assorting the fruits and other food she had gathered from the forest. Isolde was well, albeit still a little too drained due to the big wound on her arm. Tristan, as usual, was fussing over his beloved.

Merlin now was gathering the lumber that they had gathered for the day. She watched as he grabbed one stick and forcefully rubbed against another, hoping to make a fire. He was soon growing frustrated with a lack of spark, and she slightly smiled.

Directing her eyes at the small pile of lumbers, Hermione whispered, "Bærne [1]." As her eyes momentarily turned gold, the woods blazed with a roaring fire. It startled Merlin, prompting him to quickly move away and fall on his bottom.

Hermione tried to hide a grin and desperately failed. When Merlin's accusing, yet amused, eyes fell on her, her grin turned into a wide smile.

She knew he was still in disbelief of the magic she possessed. Last night's revelation was somehow tiring for Hermione, and a bit too melodramatic. Even though Merlin never knew that she belonged to a future a thousand years from now, he believed that she possessed the same magic that he did, and was absolutely ecstatic about it. To know that Hermione has something similar with him made him at ease.

The brunette then stood up from the log and strode towards the manservant. She sat down beside him, while Merlin shook his head.

"You did that on purpose," he lightly accused.

Hermione chuckled. "I just saved you from the effort," she whispered in reply.

Merlin's eyes then softened and he genuinely grinned at her. He gently grabbed her right hand and gave it a squeeze, fondly staring down at her. "Wait 'til Gaius hears about the news that his apprentice is just like me," he said.

She could hear his longing to see his mentor, prompting her to wrap her arms around him in comfort. Hermione knew of the concern that he held for the Court Physician; after all, she worried greatly for Gaius' too. He was already old... too old, and by now, they both silently suspected that he was captured by Morgana. 

"We will soon see Gaius," she offered gently, now patting his back for assurance.

She felt his smile against her cheek as he held her tighter and pulled her closer to himself. Hermione smiled and leaned against him, marvelling at how warm and comfortable he felt. At times like this, albeit extraordinarily simple, made her momentarily forget of everything that she was and her sole purpose for returning back into time.

Hermione's eyes then accidentally landed on Gwen and lightly blanched. The future queen was staring at the two of them with slight envy in her eyes. The brunette slowly and reluctantly pulled away from Merlin. She ignored his questioning glance, but instead stood up and strode towards Guinevere's direction.

"Gwen," she softly said, sitting down beside her friend. "Are you all right?"

Gwen gave her a shaky smile. "Of course I am, Hermione," she said.

When Hermione merely stared at her, knowing, Guinevere's bottom lip started to quiver as quiet tears ran down her eyes. "I-I'm sorry," she said, shielding her face away from the brunette. She haphazardly wiped away her tears but was still unsuccessfully in suppressing them.

Sighing, Hermione drew her friend into a hug and allowed her to softly cry on her shoulders. Over her head, she met Merlin's questioning and worried gaze and sadly shook her head at him. Both knew of how much grief Gwen was feeling; despite her reunion with Arthur, her betrayal still left a gap between the two.