Chapter Twenty-Two: Excalibur

Chapter Warning

Merlin/Hermione fluff. You've been warned. Enjoy :) 

__________

Merlin was jerked awake by a frantic Arthur.

One look at the Prince and he already knew.

They were found.

"Be quick," Arthur hissed while he stood up from the uncomfortable ground. His eyes quickly darted inside the cave and saw Gaius hastily packing all of the potions that he had brought in case of an injury. Guinevere, with unadulterated fear in her eyes, helped Gaius. Gwaine was standing guard at the opening of the cave, his sword pulled out and ready for battle. Arthur was already fully armoured and was seemingly waiting for Gwaine's signal.

"Come on," Gwaine furiously whispered and waved his left hand. Gaius and Gwen followed him first with Merlin and Arthur bringing the rear of the group. Merlin could distinctively hear the sound of hooves and the neighing of horses. Judging by the magnitude of the sound, he guessed that they had a lot of pursuers.

Arthur slightly bumped against him, urging him forward, and the manservant budged without any complaints. He lifted his blue eyes and scanned the ground above. The cave that they had chosen was buried and hidden from sight. Now that they were escaping from it, they were still fairly below the ground where Morgana's soldiers were trotting and looking for them.

The sudden sound of clanging swords brought his attention back to his companions. Gwaine released a laugh and pounded the back of who turned out to be Sir Leon. Merlin's mouth gradually dried when his eyes flitted on Guinevere's brother.

And finally, Hermione.

Her warm, brown eyes immediately caught his and her face crumpled in sheer relief. Merlin found himself grinning widely it almost hurt and it took all of his willpower not to dash forward and envelop here into tight hug.

"Move," Arthur ordered, urging them forward.

They all changed places with now Arthur and Sir Leon bringing the front of the group. Gwaine and Elyan brought the rear while Gaius, Gwen, Hermione, and Merlin were stuck in the middle.

Their eyes constantly darted around, their senses heightened in case of a sudden attack. Merlin could already feel his magic bubbling underneath his skin, waiting to be unleashed.

"THERE THEY ARE!" a voice from above suddenly shouted. An arrow barely missed Gaius, but Merlin was able to push him away on time.

The immortal soldiers were already shooting arrows at their group and Arthur, frantic, shouted amidst the chaos for them to hide. Merlin saw Morgause amidst their attackers and she was now constantly blasting spells. Gwaine exclaimed that the safest place to cover was directly below the attackers and they hastily rushed towards his side, shielding themselves from apparent danger.

They had a disadvantage here because they had to lift their heads in order to see their attacker. The blinding sunlight was hurting their eyes and distracted them from fighting back. The immortal soldiers, on the other hand, brought bows and arrows with them and they could shoot at them whenever they like.

A sudden rumble almost knocked them off from their feet. Merlin reckoned it must have been one of the effects of Morgause's magic.

And then, much to their suspicion, there was silence.

"Stay back," Arthur mouthed and slowly emerged out into the open. But Sir Leon grabbed his arm and shook his head.

"Let me do it," the knight whispered back. Reluctantly, Arthur pressed himself against the wall while Sir Leon cautiously walked out of the open.