Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Mystery in Ealdor

Author's Note: 

You're still here? Wow??? 
Okay, just so you know, you've just reached the middle of the whole story.
Suffice to say, there are still a lot of things in store for our favorite bookworm and manservant. 
So, onward! 

__________

Lord Agravaine de Bois was terrified.

He stood in front of Morgana's secret hovel, debating whether to walk inside or not. A while ago, Morgana had sent a letter to him, demanding to meet her once twilight blanketed the whole of Camelot. He knew she wanted to know the news about the disappearance of the Dorochas and the good news that Arthur was dead.

The King's uncle bristled in annoyance, remembering the damned Lancelot du Lac for being noble and loyal. If he knew that the deceased knight would one day foil their plans, then Agravaine would have gladly sent him somewhere far away from Camelot.

"It's better to get this over and done with," he murmured to himself. Sooner or later, Morgana would discover that Arthur Pendragon was still alive and breathing.

Agravaine then knocked thrice before the wooden door magically opened. He stiffly strode inside and cleared his throat, announcing his arrival.

The beautiful Morgana was seated behind a bubbling cauldron, a look of disgruntlement present on her face. Apparently, she was trying to perfect a potion from one of Morgause's journals and it was obvious that she was struggling.

"I am busy, Agravaine," the young sorceress coldly greeted. Her steely eyes met Agravaine's dark, frightened ones, prompting her to purse her lips. "Be brief."

Agravaine took a deep breath before breaking the news to her. "The Dorochas disappeared, but Arthur is still alive, my lady," he politely addressed despite the slight tremor in his tone. "One of his loyal knights sacrificed himself in place of the King."

It felt almost forever before Morgana reacted. Her calm stirring of the cauldron stopped and she unblinkingly stared back at him. Agravaine fidgeted under her disarming gaze but held it nonetheless. He was afraid she'd snap if his eyes landed anywhere but her.

"You say that Arthur is still alive?" she coldly repeated, slowly raising up from her small stool. Agravaine involuntarily took a step back, already feeling Morgana's crackling magic. It was fortunate for him to leave a few distance between them because Morgana's bubbling cauldron suddenly blasted due to her raw anger. The boiling liquid rained all over, conveniently leaving Morgana alone. A few droplets landed on Agravaine and he hissed in pain, crouching behind a large cabinet to shield him from the hot liquid.

By this time, Morgana's anger grew apparent and obvious. More instruments and furniture blasted inside. The noise was deafening and Agravaine had to put both of his hands against his ears to stifle the noise.

Perhaps it had only been an hour, but for Agravaine it felt like years before Morgana finally stopped her outraged wrecking. Embarrassed by his cowardice, he slowly emerged out from his makeshift shield and met the furious eyes of Morgana.

"My lady, you need not worry," he hastily said, sighing in great relief when Morgana plopped once again on her stool. "Soon, we will have a better plan and I will make sure that it will be successful this time."

"I ardently expect that your words will be true this time, Agravaine," she grumbled, darkly scowling at the King's uncle. "Else, I think it would be better if you find a suitable hiding place."

Unwittingly, he swallowed before earnestly nodding his head. "Of course, Morgana," he croaked. "Anything for you."

__________