Chapter 9

"Doctor! Look what I have found!" Shereen exclaimed, watching the creature in front of her with sadness. "You need to help it."

"Shereen, " the man took one step ahead. "Please, get away from it. Come to me." he offered his hand.

"Can't you help it? This poor soul.."

"Shereen, listen to me. It is only playing with you. That thing you're looking at killed hundreds of people."

"If I could only set it free." the woman ignored him. "Can you hear me? Can you talk to me? Do you understand me?"

"Shereen! Get away, now!!" Rose shouted out.

Rose was afraid of it. More afraid than any other alien in the Galaxy. It was dangerous, and as the Doctor said, killed hundreds of people. It wouldn't mind killing another round.

The girl took an intense look at it, inspecting its statement and position. It looked damaged, its blue eye flickering in loss of energy. She knew what to expect; being in the same place remembered her mistakes that have been made. That's what made her slightly shiver, and the thought of it, gaining life again, stroke a slice of horror through her mind.

She gazed upon the Doctor. His hand, still reaching for Shereen's, the other one, pointing with the sonic. She knew he was bluffing. He always did against the Daleks, and she wasn't the only one to realize it. Jack once pointed it out too, back on Cloud Nine, Game Station; but the Timelord would only disagree, saying that things like that don't matter when you've got to save the world.

"Doctor, why isn't she responding? Why is she ignoring us?" Rose asked, allowing herself to step besides him.

"She is being controlled."

"By what?"

"Remember when I told you that telepathy could cause great damage to her brain?" he turned his head for a second. "This is the result. And if we don't hurry up, you know what will happen."

She nodded bugging out her eyes. What was to do? Shereen wouldn't listen to them, and only one wrong step could bring the end of this Shadow Proclamation. Speaking of which, wasn't Shereen supposed to always be followed by a Judoon? And why in the heavens is a Dalek left alone in a cell, all by itself? Wasn't this a Police after all?

"Doctor, where is everyone?"

"Shereen, give me your hand. Come on, let's go ouside."

The woman in front of him blinked, little drops of tears streaming out her eyes. She reached with one hand to wipe them off, and silently sobbed, as she felt broken of its existence. It was the first time she felt like that; all the travelling and pressure kind of made her feel insane. But she kept it in, allowing those feelings to remain inside. This wasn't the world she knew, not even one thing remembered of Earth. But it was true, and the thing that laid in front of her needed help, that's what she knew for sure.

Rose tried to quickly run towards her, but his arm pulled her aside again.

"Don't. We can't risk for her to touch it. It's too dangerous. I just need to wake her up." his voice deepened, knowing what would happen next.

"And this only when I thought I'd have a normal day."

"No day is normal, Rose. Now, shut up a bit. I am thinking." the Doctor closed his eyes, furrowing his brows. "Reach. Come on, reach to her."

"What are you doing?" Rose whispered.

"I am trying to telepathically connect to her. Though she seems to keep rejecting me."