Chapter 22

The Doctor threw a frustrated look on Mickey.

"You work there?" he was disappointed. "Mickey, from all good places where you can build a living, you chose Torchwood? What are you working as? Dinner lady?"
"Ha ha." Mickey laughed sarcastically. "Very funny. I work as a discoverer. I discover things, create them."
"Create? Create what? And since when?"
"It started six months ago. I mean, someone needed to track your signal, and it surely wasn't going to be Jackie. I have been searching for you all this time. Where the hell have you been?"
"Doesn't matter." the Doctor ignored the question. "Now, if you want to do something good, and I mean really really good, you're gonna get me pass these doors." he pointed towards the entrence.
"What? Let you in? Let you screw all up? Nah, not a chance."

The Doctor, mostly angry, pushed Mickey against a tree and looked him deep in the eyes.

"Listen to me carefully, if you don't want to die today or any other day, you're gonna listen. That thing there" he waved at the building. "is going to cause the end of the world if you won't let me save you. So, do it!"

The Doctor backed up, leaving Mickey some space to arrange his jacket.
He changed, this alien Timelord. He changed a lot, he wasn't the same anymore. And Mickey understood that. He knew he loved Rose and she loved him, he knew he was hurt and heartbroken. And the rage inside his eyes increased with time. If for him were 7 months, how long has it been for the Doctor?

"Through the back door." Mickey instructed, and as they started walking, he looked around him. Luckily, it was dark outside, and since they worn dark clothes, they were hard to spot.

Eventually, right at the corner of the building, from where they had to enter, a camera was positioned. So Mickey came up with an idea.

"Wait for me here." he waved at the Doctor to hide behind a car.

Mickey stepped inside Torchwood, then the staff room, where he pulled on two white lab coats and exited again.

"Thank you." the Doctor said as he took the coat. "Now, let's get over with it."

They both entered, the Timelord hiding his face, and opened some doors and gained access with the sonic screwdriver. They talked as they walked.

"So, how did it happened?"
"Happened what?" Mickey replied with a question.
"You and Torchwood. I am not used in seeing you work with a high facility institute. So how?"
"I have my ways. I studied as well, but let's say most of the job was done by Jack."
"Jack? Jack Harkness?" the Doctor felt surprised.
"He's Torchwood Three. Cardiff."
"Looks like all good people end up in bad places."

They passed through some corridors and some security guards, and when they reached the main computer room, the Doctor sonicked it and entered.

"What?" his face ended up full with concern. "What?"
"What? What's wrong?"
"It's gone. It's all gone. The big massive computer and all the wires. All of them." he threw his arms in the air and spinned around one time as he said that.
"Well, it depends on what you're looking for. Multiple places have changed here since someone else took the charge."
"And who's that?"
"Yvone Hartman."
"Well, whoever she is, I still need to get to that computer. Although it could be she stopped the process." the Doctor thought again. "Were there any interruptions, any blocked projects?"
"I don't know, but I could take a look if you want me to."
"That would be brilliant, thank you."

Mickey stepped to exit, but then returned again.

"Take this." he offered the Doctor a gun. "You may not know when you need it."
"Mickey, are you out of your mind? That's a gun! I don't use guns, only water pistols."
"Well, water pistols aren't gonna help you if a security guard bargs in, so take it."