The Yule Ball

The Yule Ball is already in full swing when the group arrives, music pumping through unseen sources and enchanted snow falling to dissolve just above the partygoers' heads. Couples are chatting and dancing across the floor, an enormous Christmas tree in the center of the Hall. The group dissipates, leaving Lucy and Fred to themselves. He turns to her, a broad smile on his face before lifting her dainty hand to kiss it before asking her to dance. She smiles and nods allowing him to lead her around the floor in time to the music.
"How did you learn to dance so well?" He asks, stunned by her skill.
"There's a lot you don't know about me, Mr. Weasley." She replies with a smirk.
"When will you let me in Lucy?"
"Only time can tell."
He drops the conversation, allowing them to dance through song after song until George cuts in for a dance with her, followed by Lee. She dances with them, rolling her eyes at their lame attempts at pickup lines. When her dance with Lee ends, she takes a seat while Fred leaves to get them both a glass of punch. Her eyes look up to land on Harry and Ginny dancing nearby until someone cuts off her line of vision. She glances up, expecting to see Fred, but finds someone she despises.
"Care to dance?" He asks, holding his hand out nonchalantly.
"No. I don't."
"It's just one dance Luce."
"I don't dance with people like you." She says, crossing her arms.
"Just one dance, I have some information you may find important."
Her eyes narrow before spotting Fred.
"What's he doing here?" He asks, glaring at the blonde.
"He wants to dance with me and apologize for previous actions it seems."
"If you lay a single hand on her in a way I don't like, you'll be hexed into oblivion." His glare intensifies but gestures for her to go.
Reluctantly she takes his hand and lets him pull her to the dance floor. His hand settles on her lower back while they maneuver around the floor in a graceful tango that looks almost rehearsed.
"So, Malfoy, what did you want from me, honestly?"
"How does it feel to dance with me?" He asks, avoiding her question and puzzling her.
"I'd rather dance with the devil." She responds, sending him a look as he dips her.
"Enchanting. You're going to be called home tomorrow. You're mine."
With his last words, he draws her close to him, faces only a breath away from meeting. The Great Hall bursts into applause and he releases her, disappearing into the crowd, leaving her startled.
Lucy stands there for a moment, her mind racing until she bolts from the room and out onto the front steps of the room. The air is frigid and a light dusting of snow has littered the grounds but the entryway has been bewitched to stay warm and free of snow. She settles down on the steps and stare out across the winter wonderland while Malfoy's words sink in. The door opens a few moments later and something warm settles around her shoulders before Fred sits down next to her. He stares at her silently before finally asking what happened.
"I got a little woozy and had to step out for air. Sorry to worry you."
"It's alright. I tried to hex Malfoy because I thought he upset you."
She lets out a small chuckle but both of them know it's not convincing.
"Thanks for asking me to come with you tonight Fred, it was really fun."
"Thank you for agreeing."
She turns to him to find him staring at her with a look she couldn't quite place. His hand slowly reaches over to cup her cheek and gently pulls her face toward his. Her eyes close and the distance between them disappears as her first real kiss happens. A fluttering feeling erupts in her stomach like butterflies and her heart rate accelerates until she feels as if it's going to burst. When they part his face turns bright red again before he apologizes.
"Don't apologize." She says softly, feeling a little twinge of guilt in her stomach.
Fred stands and takes her hand to help her up and they walk into the castle again in silence. The music stops as the front doors shut, so he walks her to the Slytherin entrance and kisses her again before leaving. She drifts into the room past the kids lounging around and up the stairs to change into a pair of comfortable sweat pants and a tank top.

(Lyҙh