I Bet It's a Box

Lucy looks up from sweeping the floor to find a dark grey owl tapping on the door repeatedly. She puts the broom down and opens it to let the bird inside. He lands lightly on her shoulder and holds out his leg for her to take the letter. She unties it and feeds him a treat before letting him fly away. She looks down at the envelope and notices the seal from the Ministry headquarters in New York. She tears it open excitedly and reads the scrawling writing. With a squeal she scurries up the stairs and bursts into the apartment, effectively waking Lee who falls to the floor in surprise. George comes out of his room with his wand drawn and no shirt on. They both stop and stare at the girl clutching the paper and smiling from ear to ear.
"It's five in the morning Lucy, what is going on?"
"They found my parents!"
"Congratulations. Wake me again in two hours and I'll celebrate then." George mutters before returning to his room.
She looks over at Lee to find him asleep again on the floor. She sighs and walks into the room she shares with Fred and pokes his face repeatedly until he wakes up.
"Lucy? It's five in the morning. Go to sleep."
He latches onto her and pulls her to his chest. She giggles and tries to pull away but he holds her tighter.
"Sleep Lucy. Sleep." He pops the 'p' at the end and snuggles his face into her hair.
"They found my parents Fred. I'm excited. The owl came a few minutes ago."
"That's great Lucy. Can we sleep now?"
"You can. I'm going back to cleaning the shop. The alarm is still set to wake you up at seven. Sleep well."
She kisses his forehead before he pulls her down to his lips and releases her. She gets out of bed and grabs another mug of coffee before returning to the shop. She takes a sip and places the mug on the counter before noticing something sitting by it. She picks up the rose carefully and pulls the note from the emerald green ribbon tied to the stem.
"Happy Birthday Luce. Enjoy your freedom while it lasts.
-Draco"
She looks up to the shop door and realizes she'd left it unlocked when the owl came through. Her eyes dart about the store searching for the blonde but he's nowhere to be found. She locks the door again and drops the rose onto the counter. She purposefully avoids it and turns on the radio the boys stashed behind the counter before returning to sweeping the floors. She sings along to the songs playing, using it as a distraction from her thoughts. She'd known that it was obvious where she went but she had hoped that he would leave her be at least until they returned to Hogwarts. Now he's just taunting her.
Two hours later she can hear movement upstairs where the boys are waking up and getting ready for the day. She grimaces at her empty coffee mugs and decides to carry them upstairs and replace them with a soda. She opens the door to find Lee in his boxers trying to pull on a pair of pants. She squeaks in shock and covers her eyes.
"MY EYES! I'm blind! Grab the brain bleach I'm scarred for life!"
"You know you are not blind Lucy. I'm irresistible."
"Stop smirking at me Lee. I can't see you but I know you're doing it."
"Lee, put some clothes on and quit hitting on my girl."
She uncovers her eyes and the sound of Fred's voice and rushes over to jump on him. He catches her and spins her around before wishing her a happy birthday. Lee does the same and she turns to thank him and finds him fully dressed. Fred plants a kiss on her lips before shuffling over for coffee. She goes to the stove and starts to prepare pancakes for everyone. Lee grabs a mug for himself and the two settle into chairs at the counter while George showers. Lucy plates the pancakes as they finish and hands off the last plate to George as he walks by before taking the plate she'd finished before for herself. They settle down and eat while they have Lucy tell them about the letter.
"-so they notified my parents and are supposed to send me a letter soon."
"That's great Luce. We have presents for you and a surprise for later on."
"Ooh! I get stuff!? I bet it's a box. Is it a box?" She claps her hands excitedly.
"I told you she was easily entertained..." Lee mutters.
She sticks out her tongue before hopping down off the counter and putting her plate in the sink. The boys do the same then Fred picks her up over his shoulder and walks over to the couches and tosses her lightly onto it. She giggles and sits up so Fred can sit next to her.
He waves his wand and a pile of presents floats in from the other room. Fred puts the pile on the floor next to him and hands her a letter first. She opens it to find it from their mother Molly.
"Happy Birthday Lucy.
I haven't seen you since Christmas time. You worried me sick when I heard you'd disappeared but I'm glad you're safe now. No funny business with my sons though, Dearie. Come see us today please.
Love,
Molly"
"We have to see your Mum today apparently. And no funny business with either of you."
They laugh and agree to make a visit for the day. He then hands her a gift from Lee, which she opens to reveal a new wand, a replica of the one she'd owned before Malfoy stole it from her.
"I figured you'd need one. You randomly grab at your boot leg like it's there, so now it is. I had to deal with Ollivander's babble to get it for you."
She hugs him before tucking it into her shirt since her boots were packed away for the season. Fred gives her a package marked from George and opens it to find a replenishing chocolates box. Every time you open the lid, there's a chocolate inside. It's rumored to last for a whole year. She pops one into her mouth and hugs him before returning to her seat. Lee gets up suddenly and digs around in his trunk for something before returning with the trinket box she'd sent back.
"You're back with us now so I think it'll be safe."
She hugs it to her chest and runs her fingers over the designs and places it to the side with her other items. Fred hands her another package, one from him, and she opens it carefully. It's a box for small jewelry like earrings or rings. She opens it to reveal a ring with a small ruby and small emerald in the center.
"Fred-?" She starts to speak, looking up at him.
"It's not an engagement ring or anything like that. It's a promise, that I'll be here for you no matter what and will protect you with my life." His face turns bright red as he speaks and he nervously fidgets with his wand.
Lucy grins and slides it on her finger before pulling him into a kiss. Lee and George do their customary gagging noises and making fun of them until they part.
"Thank you guys. You do realize that you haven't opened the shop yet, right?"
"We took the day off for you. That's part of your surprise for the day."
"What's the other part?" She asks.
"You'll see. Let's go to Mum's before she sends a Howler and we'll come back later."
"Okay. I think I left the radio on downstairs, I'll be right back."
"We have to make a quick item pick up for Ron and Harry so we'll go with you."
She shrugs and they all go downstairs together. Lucy spies the rose first and scowls but ignores it. She turns the radio off and writes up a "Closed due to family event" sign to tape to the door. As she finishes putting it up, she hears Fred drop a box onto the counter loudly.
"Where did this come from?" He asks, trailing off as he reads the note. "Lucy, did you see this today?"
"I accidently left the door unlocked when I got the letter from the owl. When I came back down it was here. I forgot to tell you, I'm sorry."
He points his wand at it and the rose turns to ash.
"Problem solved. Let's go." He grins and takes her arm as they turn.