Home

As she tosses the powder down, emerald flames leap up and a moment later she steps out into the parlor of the Addams Manor. Her boots click on the stone floor as she gazes around awaiting the arrival of a house elf.
"Misses Addams is requested in the drawing room!"
She turns at the sound of a squeaking voice and her eyes rest on her favorite elf, Lolli, standing in the doorway.
"Hello Lolli. Remember I told you to call me Lucy." She says, giving the elf a small smile.
"Sorry Misses Addams, Master and Mistress Addams told Lolli not to call Misses Addams by Lucy."
"Oh."
She frowns a little before following the small elf through the house and up to the drawing room. As they reach the door, Lolli snaps her fingers and disappears. Lucy takes a deep breath before knocking lightly and waiting for further instruction. A deep voice tells her to enter, so she steps inside to find Annabella and Theodore seated on a loveseat facing the door. Lucy drops into a light bow before taking a seat in front of them on a matching armchair.
"Thank you for arriving on time Lucille."
"Thank you for having me." She replies quietly.
"You remember the circumstances that allowed you into our household, correct?" The woman asks.
"Yes Ma'Am."
"Your future has been decided. During Christmas break of your sixth year, you will be wed to the son of a wealthy pureblood family."
Lucy swallows the lump in her throat before asking. "Who is he?"
"Draco Malfoy, son of Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy."
Her heart stops, though she'd known the answer.
"No..." The word is muttered quietly without her permission, making her wish she could grab the word out of the air.
"No?" Annabella asks, her voice rigid.
"I apologize, I didn't mean to..." She trails off once Annabella cuts her off.
"You have no right to tell us 'no'. We brought you in from the streets and gave you everything. We have taught you everything you would need to know to be a proper wife to a wealthy pureblood, and you say no?" Her eyes flash dangerously, causing Lucy to withdraw from any argument she could make.
"I apologize Annabella. The young Malfoy and I have had some misunderstandings at school that is all. I did not mean to offend you."
"Don't let it happen again. Dismissed."
Lucy stands without feeling her legs and forces herself to bow before leaving the room and heading back to the parlor. She stares at the fireplace for what feels like hours before grabbing a pinch of powder and numbly returning to Hogwarts.
In Dumbledore's office, she finds him still seated at his desk, stroking the feathers of a very old and frail looking phoenix. He looks up at the brunette with a familiar twinkle in his eye and she lifts the corner of her mouth in an attempt at a smile while biting the inside of her cheek to keep the tears at bay.
"Welcome back Miss Addams."
"Thank you Sir."
"I hope you enjoy your break. Don't forget the feast on Christmas Day. I heard the Treacle Tart is supposed to be delicious."
"Alright Sir, thank you. I'll attend."
She walks over to the door and turns back as he says something that fully surprises her.
"You know, Miss Addams that though there may be only one path laid in front of you, that does not stop you from making your own."
She stares at him for a moment before thanking him again and walking out, his words replaying in her head. Sadly, a path of her own is not what she can see. The only one in front of her seems to lead to misery.