Becoming Friends

Bravery. Justice. Integrity.
Kindness. Perseverance. Patience.

One day, a child woke up knowing their closest friend was dead after so long, missing. The child cried themselves dry and hissing. One day, a child followed the footprints in the snow, all the way to a large, gaping hole. The only thing left, was a name drawn in the mud. C/H/A/R/A. And yet, it was enough, for the child to harden and tough. One day, the second child fell down into Mt. Ebott. People said it was an accident, but it happened to be not. The child only cared for the one that left no trace - it seems their life underground was nothing but a race. They grabbed anything they could manage, so induced in anger they never needed a bandage. Everything that came in their sight was destined lose its light. One day, a child left not blood, but ash, grieving and raging - just a little too rash. They tricked and deceived, said they just wanted to be freed. After the child's skin was colored a sickly gray, most folk realized they would not survive the day. "Don't hurt my family," but the child loved seeing agony. One day, a child took every last bit of the timekeeper's wit. They fought and they taught, each other what it meant to lose, endure all the blacks and the blues. In the end, there was no way the child could not mend after being broken and bent. One last blow hit just below, the heart he did not have, but how could one live while cut in half? The child moved on, destined to not waste time, longer than it needed to be drawn. The king kneeled, bled red and spred, all over his golden field. At the top of the throne, sat one the child had done this all for, just so they could settle the score. "You will give me your soul," they said, and the child obeyed. Falling to their knees, they realized all they had paid, for nothing in return except meaningless time to burn. All they wanted was to avenge, and instead they received a life full of fuzzy memories and lost souls they could not befriend.

Bravery. Justice. Integrity.
Kindness. Perseverance. Patience.

Those were all traits (Y/N)'s young soul could not comprehend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Becoming Friends:

Alphys:
Sonic was literally the only fast-food restaurant in sight, and you actually didn't mind. The brief walk across the parking lot, street, and another parking lot was pretty much silent besides the scuffing of your shoes - and feet - along with the passing cars. You could tell Alphys was practically having a heart attack the whole time and wanted to comfort her, but thought your efforts would encourage her into a full blown heart aneurysm, so you remained steady and waited for her to calm down by herself. You both stood in front of one of the outside menus, glancing over the choices and she seemed to have ceased most of her sweating, so you decided to speak.
"You know what you want?" you asked lightly, kindly, and yet she still flinched. You began to ponder what made her so jumpy and felt a spark of guilt for unknown reasons.
"U-Um... Not really, I haven't been here before."
You smiled patiently at her, then gently elbowed her. "Hey, it's no problem. Want me to order for you? I kinda know what tastes best here after practically living on the stuff."
She did that awkward smile - you were starting to like it. "Sure."
You ordered two of the same number, and gestured for Alphys to sit down while you inserted your credit card. After paying, you sat down on one of the metal benches beside her, staring out at the cloudy outline of Mt. Ebott.
"What was it like there?" you inquired mindlessly, just trying to start conversation. For some reason, you thought you already knew her answer.
She was silent, contemplating. "Restless," she decided at once, and you were surprised at how steady her voice sounded. "When Frisk fell down and began making friends with everyone, we all just got hopeful that they'd be understanding enough to give up their soul for us. We were just waiting until they met Asgore." Her expression hardened. "I... I felt horrible when I was practically leading them straight to their death, but..." You eyed her carefully, not reacting as to show her you were still waiting for the end of the story. "In the end, nobody had to die."
Those didn't seem like the words she wanted to say, but you were content. You weren't about to push her past where she comfortable.
"I'm glad. It would've sucked to not have been able to meet you." Your kindness was beginning to sound forced, but you meant everything you said.
Alphys blushed deeply, "I, uh, guess I am a pretty cool person."
You laughed, knocking your shoulder into hers playfully. "That's the spirit!" When you raised your hands and waved them around, a few people inside their cars looked at you funny, but you didn't mind, enjoying the sound of your new friend's giggle, doing anything to keep it from quieting. You ended off your lunch together by trading numbers and promising to set up a time and date for a movie night.